Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Process to open pool w/ Spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Process to open pool w/ Spa

So, we are thinking about opening our pool ourselves this year rather than paying $400+ to someone to do something that seems pretty straight forward. Our pool has an attached spa. Since we have a mesh cover, water has accumulated in the spa as well as the pool. Since it will still be pretty cool out when I look to open it, I am hoping to not have to get into the spa to remove the drain plugs before starting the opening process. Would it be possible remove the pool skimmer gizzmo's and return plugs, put the plugs in the pump, place the valves in pool mode and then vacuum the water out of the spa before removing the plugs on the spa? Are there any risks to this and should I just plan to hop in to the cold water or buy a portable submersible pump to pump out the spa?

Thanks for the help!
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2
    If you turn the spa off completely that approach will be fine. Remember that many pools are setup to always send some water to the spa, even when in pool mode, for a spill over. If you have that setup you will need to disable it until the spa is ready.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I can turn off return to the spa via a manual valve....I'll have to take a look.
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400