Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool opening roll call!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool opening roll call!!

I know there are quite a few threads that mention pool openings, but I think we should have something that explains a bit more. Here is what I have in mind...

Please list:

-Your climate/region
    -Average/usual opening date (range)
    -Current water temp
    -Anything else you're excited about or can think of to add

Someone will likely have a better idea on how to compare climates.

I'm in central Illinois. The average temp (daytime high/nighttime low) is 52/32. Today is 80/61. (all week has been actually)

Here are the averages for April and May.
    April 1st: 59/38
    May 1st: 70/48

Last year I believe I opened the pool in the 2nd week of May.

I was planning to open towards the beginning of May, since the weather has been so warm I assume this year maybe I can target early April. After this week being in the 80s, now I'm wondering if I could open this weekend or next! (feels like it might be too early though)

I will be checking my water temp tonight

I also want to do a little PVC work, so it probably won't be this weekend.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool opening roll call!!

-Roughly same averages as you/Midwest/Kansas City
    -Right around Mother's Day
    -Too cold for me.
    -Working on refurbishing an old AquaSlide n' Dive (man. 1976) that I took from a neighbor who filled in his pool. Just requires a new slathering of gelcoat, plumbing re-do, and new anchors. Should be fun!
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

3. Back To Top    #3

I live in Northeast Ohio.
    We usually open around mid-april or may 1st at the latest- even if it's too cold I love to look at the water.
    Current water temp is 45 degrees.
    Today was very warm, temp was close to 75.
    I put out my live palm trees, they will do fine with this weather, for now at least.

Husband is getting itchy to open the pool, and turning into a little kid- Can we open the pool next weekend, please? LOL

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool's just north of Dallas (Texas).

And I haven't opened!

But then again, I never close. ^_^
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in Northeast Wisconsin.
    Average temps : March: 41/24, April: 55/37, May: 67/48

Like everyone, temps have been really warm lately - more like early summer with temps in the 70s (pushing 80 this weekend).
    I haven't measured water temp, but one week ago, we had a foot or so of ice, so it's still cold. Ground is likely still frozen as well.

The water is completely green, so I'm thinking of starting to shock it and put the solar blanket on to capture some of this warm weather.

This is first year with the pool, so not sure if it makes sense to start shocking now vs. waiting. Normally, we probably wouldn't be swimming until mid-May at the earliest.
    16x24 oval (12500 gallon) in-ground vinyl Doughboy.
    Pump: Power Pak III 1 HP
    Filter: Sequel II DE

6. Back To Top    #6

Were in central Al. Ours stays open year round average temp in march is 48/70. It has been daily mid 70s-80s for the past week the pool temp just this week went from 62 to 71. A few more days of this warm weather and we might be swimming. I know the dogs have already been several times a day for the past week.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I will be uncovering and getting things going today. With the nighttime temps being in the 50s and the days going into the 70s I am worried that the water temps are getting to hight to leave it covered. When I uncover I will post my numbers....
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

I will have to check a couple more days in a row to make sure this is accurate, but when I put the thermometer in I got 60. Still have the winter cover on, I'm using a thin plastic stake with the thermometer hanging from it. I went through the skimmer. Hard to see where it's actually going but I'm fairly certain it's about half way into the water.

If I check around 5:45 tonight and it's 60ish as it was yesterday than I will have a better idea. By the end of next week we will be back in the mid 60s.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

9. Back To Top    #9

After a very mild winter here in KY, it looks like spring has arrived. This winter we had only 8 days where the high was below 40, compared to 44 days last year. And only 1 day where the high didn't get above the freezing mark, compared to 14 last year. Worst (only) snow "storm" 1.5" this winter compared to 8 snow events last year.

We have already drained the water off the cover and are filling the pool up the the return. This weekend the plan is to remove the cover and get things started. We usually open late April to early May. Right now the pool is 58 but it was up to 65 this past week. Once the cover is removed, I expect it will heat up nicely with highs foretasted in the 80s.
    30' Diameter Above Ground Pool, 20,100 gallon,
    Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Leave in Fort Worth,Texas
    Pool is really ready to swim all year/ Average temp for Mar. 62/49 But this year more like 72/59 with temps the last few weeks in the mid/low 80s during the day!
    Current water temp. is 71
    Were usually in May/ dogs been already at 48!
    Last year perfected the cooling towers! This year were going energy efficient, with VS or 2 speed pump!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool looked pretty good when I uncovered it, makes me wonder if I really need to add a solid cover on top of the mesh lok and loop I am using. FC was 0.2 which surprised me, didn't really think there would be anything left at all. CYA had dropped to 30 which if fine until after I shock it. PH is 7.4 and water temp is 51 degrees. Headed to Sam's to get some bleach in a few.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

Just opened last night/today here in Richmond, VA. The temps up in the 80's this week got me antsy. Water temp is 62F. but my son still jumped in. It is nice to see the pool and not the cover. Still working on the ladders and board, but the chemicals look good. I think the Borates have helped to keep it stable.
    I am sure there is probably going to be snow and a long spell of freezing temps now that I have opened...
    Richmond, VA
    36,000 Gal/20'x40' Vinyl Diving Pool - Inground/Hayward Tri-Star Dual Speed 1.5 HP Pump/Hayward T-15 Salt Cell/Goldline Controller/Sand Filter/Borates

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1

Last year perfected the cooling towers! This year were going energy efficient, with VS or 2 speed pump!
    Can you give me some info on the Cooling tower?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Richmond, VA
    36,000 Gal/20'x40' Vinyl Diving Pool - Inground/Hayward Tri-Star Dual Speed 1.5 HP Pump/Hayward T-15 Salt Cell/Goldline Controller/Sand Filter/Borates

14. Back To Top    #14

Jim, the principle is pretty simple, you are cooling the water through evaporation by spraying the water in the air and letting in fall bak into the pool. I haven't posted any pictures of my set-up but I will be this year. It is just a piece of PVC screwed into one of your returns, mine are T shaped with holes drilled in the top of the Tee. Last year I made a second tower and by August the ladies in the house were complaining of water being to COLD! Before I had built them water ranged from 90-95 in the summer so by Aug. in Texas it wasn't feeling refreshing at all. So the 2 years ago I tried (without much success) Version 1. Only got 2-3* at best. Last year I tried Version 2 and it was much more efficient (7-9*)! Had extra material left so I built a second tower and installed it. By the middle of August I was right around 80*, now mind you we had one of the hottest summers on record here in DFW (40 straight days of 100+*)! Once it starts to get hot I switch my filter timer back to running at night and I only run the filter for 8 hours at night. Whenever I get a chance I will post some pictures of the completed towers. Any more questions PM I'll help you out.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JimJimR
    Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1

Can you give me some info on the Cooling tower?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Here is a thread about building a cooler:
    dane-s-how-to-for-a-quick-easy-pool-cooler-t36086.html
    30' Diameter Above Ground Pool, 20,100 gallon,
    Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Opened the pool today, I am in NoVA, the water temp was 55, air temp today was 75. Last year I believe I opened at the end of April. The kids and the dog have been circling the pool all day, can't wait Have a lot of clean up to do first and get everything balanced.
    free form 40k gal, IG, plaster, Triton II 100C sand filter, Lite 2 heater
    1 1/2 HP Pentair Ultra Flow High Performance pump
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system

17. Back To Top    #17

Welcome to TFP Jim!
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

Here in ND its been warm as well. We normally open in late april to early may. Avg temp for March is 40/25 April 55/35 and May 70/45.

I just looked under my cover and its ice about 6" to a foot yet. Gonna be some time before we open. I did go get the patio furniture so we started. Usually, we have a couple feet of snow on the ground yet this time of year. This year, its all melted and been in the upper 60s with lows of uper 30s to low 40s. Broke some records a couple days with an 80! That is unherd of up here in March!

Cant do much yet so might as well drink Beer instead! Hoping this year will be a great year!

Good luck on all of your pool openings everyone!

Cheers!
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

19. Back To Top    #19

- 70s in El Paso
    - shooting for first swim on Apr 1
    - water is 61
    - water sanitized and balance. Just need to clean off some scale buildup.

IG plaster; 32x16x3-5 ft. w overflow spa; ~15k gals; 2 hp Pentair pump; 120 gpm Pentair DE filter; Pentair heater

20. Back To Top    #20

First full year with an inground pool. We never closed over winter. The kids kept using the pool (hot tub next to it helps) every month. Anyway, daytime highs in the upper 70's to low 80's and night time lows in the upper 50's to low 60's. Solar heater and cover has the pool at 80 today so we're already enjoying it now. I got out about an hour ago and the kids are about done for the day as well. We installed our solar last April and it really makes a difference in how long your pool season can comfortably last.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast