Possible Skimmer Issue

Feb 19, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Hello Everyone!!! I just came home today and decided to check on my filter and pump. It runs automatically on its own when I'm at work, but I just wanted to make sure everything was working okay. Anyway when I went to turn it on there was a lot of air the pump. I have my manual valve opened to the main drain and skimmer. When I close it off to the skimmer the air goes away, when I open it back up to both air shoots into the pump and filter. I went over to the skimmer and the water was very low when I'm use to seeing it filled in the skimmer area. I'm new to owning a pool, but my first guess was that the pool level was low. I'm not sure if that would make sense so that's why I wanted to ask everyone on here. What are you thoughts if any, any help is appreciated.

Based on what you're describing, it sounds like your pool water level is too low and air is getting sucked in. Raise the pool water level half way up the skimmer throat and that should solve it.

duraleigh said:
Based on what you're describing, it sounds like your pool water level is too low and air is getting sucked in. Raise the pool water level half way up the skimmer throat and that should solve it.[/quot

I was just confused a bit because I thought my pool auto filled and maintained the pool level it was filled to in the first place. I didn't think I'd have to fill it myself.

Check and see if your auto fill is functioning correctly. There is usually a float valve that controls the flow of water. If it gets stuck in the high position it won't open the water valve to top off the pool.

zea3 said:
Check and see if your auto fill is functioning correctly. There is usually a float valve that controls the flow of water. If it gets stuck in the high position it won't open the water valve to top off the pool.

That was it, thanks for the help. I adjusted the float valve and the pool level rose to where I needed it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.