storing bucket of trichlor tabs and bucket of cal-hypo

May 17, 2011
Montgomery, TX
i have this big grey plastic container i store my 50 lb bucket of trichlor tabs in. i just bought a 50 lb bucket of 73% cal-hypo granules. if they are in their own seperate buckets is it going to be alright to store them both in the same large plastic container outside? i know about not mixing them, just concerned about the fumes from each mixing? thanks

waste said:
My take is that as long as they can't come in physical contact with each other they off gas the same thing and could be stored in the same bin. However, it's always better to be safe...
this is what i was thinking. they are in their own bucket with lid. i will put them in the same bin and will update this thread if it explodes.

waste said:
There is a fair chance of fire or explosion when 2 forms of chlorine get mixed together. (I was looking for a mushroom cloud emoticon :lol: ) As long as we're talking about this, letting acid touch chlorine is even worse! :hammer:

Really! That is something every pool owner shoud know. Don't mix Clorox and muratic?!

brg88tx said:
this is what i was thinking. they are in their own bucket with lid. i will put them in the same bin and will update this thread if it explodes.

I have a bucket of trichlor tabs alongside a bucket of cal-hypo in an outside storage unit. Suncore (or something like that) maybe 3' tall and 6' wide. Each stay dry inside the bucket even when rain gets into the storage unit. I do, however, store the muriatic acid elsewhere outside. And the bleach is in the house or garage, depending on temperature.

texasdad said:
What happens if calhypo and trichlor mix?
Mixing Cal-Hypo and Trichlor is explosive! (click on that word to see what I mean). Storing them next to each other in sealed containers is only a problem if the containers were to leak/burst and the chemicals then mix.

texasdad said:
Really! That is something every pool owner shoud know. Don't mix Clorox and muratic?!
The result is production of chlorine gas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.