First time opening pool

Aug 4, 2011
Awesome site! I put an inground pool in last August. I hired the builders to close it but I would like to try opening it myself. Here are the details of my pool:

1) 18 x 40 rectangle with auto cover
2) 22,800 gallons
3) chlorine pool

I already put 3 lbs of shock in it because of the mild winter and warm srping we have had. I called the builders and they said it wouldn't be a bad idea. Here are the notes I made to open it. This was from watching them close it and askiing questions.

1) Replace all drain plugs
a) main pump - 2
b) second pump - 1
c) filter - 1 drain, t sight glass, 1 gauge
d) heat exchange drain

2) Drain anitfreeze from each skimmer line
a) open one line and turn pump to waste utnil anitfreeze comes out
b) close first line and do the same for second

3) Remove gizmos and replace plugs
4) remove all line plugs and replace with nozzle head
5) start filter

Am I missing anything?

Any suggestions on initial chemicals? Should i just take a sample and go from there? The water looks pretty good.

Thanks for any help!

You can skip 2a/b. Hopefully your PB used RV antifreeze....that stuff is non-toxic and can go straight into your pool water. Take the winterizing plugs out, put the return eyeballs back in, and crank er up.

The only thing you can be sure you will need is chlorine. Everything else depends on where your levels are. Run the pump for at least an hour to get the water well mixed, then test everything and see what levels you need to adjust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.