Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borax and SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Borax and SWG

Are you using borax in the pool also to keep the chlorine level low or not bothering? One pool guy strongly recommended the Protein Supreme route and then possibly switching to a SWG after, stating that you should always use it in a SWG pool, and another said not to bother, Opinions??

2. Back To Top    #2

North Texas

Re: Borax and SWG

I suggest you read this article on why borates are added to the pool. It may answer all of your questions.

3. Back To Top    #3

New Caney, Texas

I use borax in mine but not the pool store stuff. I shop at WalMart

Have a read here:

[Edit] gcalahan beat me.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Ditto here, I use the cheap stuff. I don't think using it to keep algae in check is a good idea; chlorine is much more foolproof. The pH buffering effects are real and important if you have a SWG.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5
    Lakeland, FL

First time I did the borax and acid. When I had to add I did boric acid. It cost a little more but was easier overall
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida