pollen everywhere, can it affect my pool ?

Aug 3, 2011
hey guys, kept my pool open through out the winter, now spring is here and the pollen has been falling for about a week now, just curious if this pollen can mess a nice blue pool up ? owned the pool for about 6 months and the bbb method has kept my pool looking great, this is my first round of pollen, just dont really know what to expect. temps here are 80 daytime, 55-60 at night, been running the pump 3 hrs a day

I'm in Georgia and the pollen can be horrible here. I don't close my pool. The only thing you may want to keep an eye on is your filter. I have a cartridge filter and this time of the year, I like to clean it every couple weeks because the pollen is so bad here. If you have a sand filter, you may want to backwash more frequently than you normally would during the regular season.

I'm in Atlanta Ga. This is my first spring with a pool. I got the leak fixed and the chemistry right. Now the pollen is starting. I have read over what was already posted in this thread. Any other advice?

One specific question about the sand filter. I backwashed when I opened the pool last month. If the pressure does not go up, is there any reason to backwash again because of the pollen?

I would not think there is a reason to backwash until the pressure goes up from normal/clean.

Recently I learned that some here recommend backwashing when the pressure goes up 15-25% of the clean pressure which is different (although makes more sense) than the standard 10psi I had heard previously.

Pool School recommends....
usually about 6 psi over the starting pressure
from
pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters

Using skimmer socks does a great job catching the pollen. But, be careful if you are in heavy pollen esp with some winds as you may need to empty the socks very often. I have had to empty them as often as every 45 minutes! But, it sure saved on having to clean/backwash all my wonderfully balanced water out! :)

I get my fav skimmer socks (blue) from Wallyworld and a pkg of 3 will last all season and start the next.

I am in Powder Springs, just northwest of Atlanta and kept mine open all winter too, can't say enough about the skimmer socks.

We bought our house in April last year and went through pollen season then with our pool. Had pressure on the filter spike once on me, then read about the skimmer sock on here and got some. Saved a lot of back washing and headaches. Now I am waiting on a part for my filter (another thread). So I am just running on recirculate for now. But use the skimmer socks and keep check on the filter pressure is the best suggestion I can give and seen in other threads.

Johnny

I used to use women's (damaged) panty hose. I suppose you could get just anklets, or the like at any department or drug store. Google "filter saver" and they will show up.

I think the "filter savers" I am using now, I bought at Wally World (Powder Springs EW Connector) a year ago, I haven't been there in a long time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.