Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pollen everywhere, can it affect my pool ?

1. Back To Top    #1

pollen everywhere, can it affect my pool ?

hey guys, kept my pool open through out the winter, now spring is here and the pollen has been falling for about a week now, just curious if this pollen can mess a nice blue pool up ? owned the pool for about 6 months and the bbb method has kept my pool looking great, this is my first round of pollen, just dont really know what to expect. temps here are 80 daytime, 55-60 at night, been running the pump 3 hrs a day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pollen everywhere, can it affect my pool ?

I try to hand skim mine once or twice a day and i vacuum at least once a week, and empty the skimmer at least daily.
    My first round with it too but just try to stay on top of it and keep pool balanced as normal.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in Georgia and the pollen can be horrible here. I don't close my pool. The only thing you may want to keep an eye on is your filter. I have a cartridge filter and this time of the year, I like to clean it every couple weeks because the pollen is so bad here. If you have a sand filter, you may want to backwash more frequently than you normally would during the regular season.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in Atlanta Ga. This is my first spring with a pool. I got the leak fixed and the chemistry right. Now the pollen is starting. I have read over what was already posted in this thread. Any other advice?

One specific question about the sand filter. I backwashed when I opened the pool last month. If the pressure does not go up, is there any reason to backwash again because of the pollen?
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would not think there is a reason to backwash until the pressure goes up from normal/clean.

Recently I learned that some here recommend backwashing when the pressure goes up 15-25% of the clean pressure which is different (although makes more sense) than the standard 10psi I had heard previously.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool School recommends....
    usually about 6 psi over the starting pressure
    from
    pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters

Using skimmer socks does a great job catching the pollen. But, be careful if you are in heavy pollen esp with some winds as you may need to empty the socks very often. I have had to empty them as often as every 45 minutes! But, it sure saved on having to clean/backwash all my wonderfully balanced water out!

I get my fav skimmer socks (blue) from Wallyworld and a pkg of 3 will last all season and start the next.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

7. Back To Top    #7

I am in Powder Springs, just northwest of Atlanta and kept mine open all winter too, can't say enough about the skimmer socks.

We bought our house in April last year and went through pollen season then with our pool. Had pressure on the filter spike once on me, then read about the skimmer sock on here and got some. Saved a lot of back washing and headaches. Now I am waiting on a part for my filter (another thread). So I am just running on recirculate for now. But use the skimmer socks and keep check on the filter pressure is the best suggestion I can give and seen in other threads.

Johnny
    25.5 K, 16 X 34 Inground w/Vinyl Liner
    Pentair 1Hp Challenger Pump
    Pentair Triton II TR60 Sand Filter

Sunvalley/Dynasty "Teton" Spa
    6 Person Rounded Edge Rectangular
    375 Gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I can't find Wallyworld doing a google. Do you have a url?

How about these skimmer socks at amazon? Which would you buy?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... s+&x=0&y=0
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by TomAtlanta
    I can't find Wallyworld doing a google. Do you have a url?
    Wallyworld aka Walmart

Although I would like to see a url to them also as I do not see them after a quick search. Only available locally?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

10. Back To Top    #10

I used to use women's (damaged) panty hose. I suppose you could get just anklets, or the like at any department or drug store. Google "filter saver" and they will show up.

I think the "filter savers" I am using now, I bought at Wally World (Powder Springs EW Connector) a year ago, I haven't been there in a long time.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber