Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: painting a concrete pool

1. Back To Top    #1

painting a concrete pool

i`m in southern mexico and have a 6 year old concrete pool.15x5x1.5 meters.when it was built they told me they where using marmolina inthe paint.this is apparently a crushed marble product that is suppose to last for ever.i didn`t think so.anyway it needs to be repainted probably within the next year.is there such a product that will extend the life of the paint job?thanks
    American Leak Detection
    Tech I, II, CPO
    VP, Sr Tech
    Since 1994

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: painting a concrete pool

I wish I had better news for you, but paint just doesn't last in a pool. Saving up for a proper plaster job is bett in the long term than repainting every couple years.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

painting a concrete pool

I know you can use a epoxy paint designed for pools, etc but like someone already mentioned you will have to re paint it after a couple years or so and I can tell you when one of our relatives did their pool it wasn't cheap!
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

yea i don`t a plster job is possible down here anyway.it will be good to give my builder some work in the summer when i`m gone.
    American Leak Detection
    Tech I, II, CPO
    VP, Sr Tech
    Since 1994

5. Back To Top    #5

6 or 7 years is pretty good for a paint job. Maybe your pool builder has discovered the secret to pool painting and you might be happy having the PB repaint.

If plaster isn't an option and you don't want to repaint, what about tiling the pool?
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

tile is pretty pricey and maybe not the best option as far as skilled tilers down here.also do scuba lesson`s in the pool so probably going to stick with paint
    American Leak Detection
    Tech I, II, CPO
    VP, Sr Tech
    Since 1994