Decided to Build First Pool this Spring

I hadn't commented on your setup but I caught myself up on it this spring with yours being similar to ours. I also saw your pics from the viewing platform/deck post and it all looks great!

We just had our Coverstar autocover intalled last week and I have a couple of questions for you. First, I have the same blue pump and I thought it said somehwere in the warnings that it should not be submerged. But I see in one of your pics that your almost is, and mine looks like it would have before I pulled it to a shallower area. Has yours been submerged routinely with no issue? The pump also seems to operate a bit on its own schedule when I move it to get another pocket of water. It goes off and then may not come on for a few mintues. Does yours do any of that? Other times it goes on and off quickly in respone to the water levels.

But my bigger question is on your cover after it is rolled onto the reel. When your is fully rolled up, does the cover below the reel hang down significantly? Ours is hanging down so much (probably 5" or so) that it is in contact with the concrete bottom of the cover pit which is just rough gunite. And it seems to be scratching the top of it as it unrolls (which I would expect from the contact). I have talked our PB and am awaiting his reply from the installers.

Thanks so much if you can provide any insights.

My pump behaves just like yours! Not sure if it's been submerged or not, it's been put in pretty deep water,
Nearly to top off pump.

I have several inches of space below cover when it's fully rolled up. I can measure it.

Good to hear on the pump operation, not ideal but operating consistently.

I suppose I'm most interested in the rough distance between the bottom of the reel and the bottom of the rolled up cover. And if it feels rolled somewhat tight or loose and floppy on the reel. Thanks!

bmoreswim said:
I hadn't commented on your setup but I caught myself up on it this spring with yours being similar to ours. I also saw your pics from the viewing platform/deck post and it all looks great!

We just had our Coverstar autocover intalled last week and I have a couple of questions for you. First, I have the same blue pump and I thought it said somehwere in the warnings that it should not be submerged. But I see in one of your pics that your almost is, and mine looks like it would have before I pulled it to a shallower area. Has yours been submerged routinely with no issue? The pump also seems to operate a bit on its own schedule when I move it to get another pocket of water. It goes off and then may not come on for a few mintues. Does yours do any of that? Other times it goes on and off quickly in respone to the water levels.w
But my bigger question is on your cover after it is rolled onto the reel. When your is fully rolled up, does the cover below the reel hang down significantly? Ours is hanging down so much (probably 5" or so) that it is in contact with the concrete bottom of the cover pit which is just rough gunite. And it seems to be scratching the top of it as it unrolls (which I would expect from the contact). I have talked our PB and am awaiting his reply from the installers.

Thanks so much if you can provide any insights.

Today I emailed the auto cover pump manufacture and I was shocked to get a phone call just a few minutes after I sent the email complaining about erratic behavior I talked in detail with the person and he told me that I need to take the pump apart and check the float to see if it has a hole in it and is taking on water which would lead to erratic pump behavior another thing he said that I need to check was to make sure that I had not got dust accumulated in between the two magnets at the top the float

He also said that there would be actually no problem with the pump totally submerged underwater

Liner Slipping Creeping

I have vinyl overlay steps. The vinyl over the steps is the Tread-Tex version of the regular vinyl. It has a slight texture to it that makes all the difference in the world with regards to it being slippery. If you do vinyl over steps i can't recommend this version of a vinyl liner enough.

That said...I'm experienced "liner slip". meaning over the past year (pool finished last summer). The vinyl on my steps has slowly crept down towards the pool. This has created a flap or fold at the end of each step. It also created some bulging in the corners of the top step. The pool builder finally came out yesterday to look at it. His son spent about 20 mins. with a plunger trying to move the vinyl slowly back up the steps. Then he came to the conclusion it would take him all day, so the PB will be sending 3 of his guys out to do it together soon. They will also be putting some wedges (liner lock) in the corners.

The pool builder says that this liner slip occurs occasionally/frequently but only during the first 2 years when the vinyl is still pliable/flexible/stretchable. He says they can get it back to it's original position, and that since we are almost done with summer, by the time next summer rolls around it should not move again.

He did not theorize that the added traction of the tread-tex version added to/created the liner slip. His son commented that this version of the liner was more difficult to re position. His son also commented that standing on the steps working he could tell a significant difference and that he loved it.

I'm about 75% confident that they can fix the issue. I don't think the bulging in the corners can be fixed, seems like it's caused by too much liner material, versus material being pushed down the steps. I remember the guys putting in the liner on the phone with one of the PB owner's and they were heatedly discussing something, in Spanish. I think the liner was possibly slightly too big to begin with but am not sure.

Pictures

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.