Motor replacement ?'s

Aug 10, 2007
North Alabama
Ok, my motor is tost(cap is good,shaft won't turn).Its a Hayward 1hp 3450rpm's,19 max amps,115v.Local pool stores want at least $400 for a new motor.People...I am po!I have seen similiar pumps and motors that were fairly new go for from $75-$200 on Craigslist but i cant find any RIGHT NOW and the pool is turnin into the wooly swamp FAST.

1) I have a hayward 3/4 hp,3450rpm,11 max amp motor.What problems am I going to run into if i replace the 1hp motor with the 3/4 hp until i can find a good deal on a 1hp.

2) What are some places to look for a good deal on a 1hp motor?

AS ALWAYS
THANKS
Buzz

The only problem you'll have (assuming the frame is the same) is the impeller will be too large for the 3/4 hp motor. Depending on the head of your system you may be able to get away with it but then again, you may not.

You could buy a 3/4 hp impeller for your pump and use the motor you have and it'd be fine.

The worst that will happen is that if the smaller motor does not have thermal protection, the windings could burn up. With thermal protection, as motors have, it will probably shut off if it gets too hot. So if you are willing to sacrifice the motor, you could give a shot. BTW, what is the service factor for each motor?

Another option is to get a rebuilt motor. They don't seem to last as long but they are much cheaper.

I salvaged one from a bathroom remodel about 13 years ago - the Powerflo was being used for a "hydrotherapy" tub. When I saw it, i thought it might be handy to keep. Turns out it was - last summer when my Hayward Superpump 1.5 HP failed, it served just fine for the 2 weeks until I got my replacement Pentair Superflo 1.5 Energy effiicent pump. I didn't have the strainer for the powerflo (need to order one if I intend to use it long term), but after I primed it with the garden hose into the output, it worked well enough to keep my pool "clean and free from green". You may have to run the smaller pump more hours per day, but it should work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.