Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor replacement ?'s

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor replacement ?'s

Ok, my motor is tost(cap is good,shaft won't turn).Its a Hayward 1hp 3450rpm's,19 max amps,115v.Local pool stores want at least $400 for a new motor.People...I am po!I have seen similiar pumps and motors that were fairly new go for from $75-$200 on Craigslist but i cant find any RIGHT NOW and the pool is turnin into the wooly swamp FAST.

1) I have a hayward 3/4 hp,3450rpm,11 max amp motor.What problems am I going to run into if i replace the 1hp motor with the 3/4 hp until i can find a good deal on a 1hp.

2) What are some places to look for a good deal on a 1hp motor?

AS ALWAYS
    THANKS
    Buzz
    36x18,MAYBE 27000gal?,VINYL.3/4 HP,PAC-FAB SUPER FLO SAND FILTER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor replacement ?'s

The only problem you'll have (assuming the frame is the same) is the impeller will be too large for the 3/4 hp motor. Depending on the head of your system you may be able to get away with it but then again, you may not.

You could buy a 3/4 hp impeller for your pump and use the motor you have and it'd be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The worst that will happen is that if the smaller motor does not have thermal protection, the windings could burn up. With thermal protection, as motors have, it will probably shut off if it gets too hot. So if you are willing to sacrifice the motor, you could give a shot. BTW, what is the service factor for each motor?

Another option is to get a rebuilt motor. They don't seem to last as long but they are much cheaper.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought the 3/4 hp would bolt up to the existing pump but i was mistaken. :'-(
    thanks anyways

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have the rest of that powerFlo II pump to go with that 3/4 HP motor - that should get you by quite nicely until you can afford another pump / replacement motor for your current pump.

Otherwise - this place has lots of replacements available - http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/index.html
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey......how did you know it was a powerFlo II LOL. Yea I have the motor and pump.I plumed it into my existing lines today. I will fire it up tomorrow.I hope it's got enough flow to get me by!I'll give a report tomorrow.

7. Back To Top    #7

I salvaged one from a bathroom remodel about 13 years ago - the Powerflo was being used for a "hydrotherapy" tub. When I saw it, i thought it might be handy to keep. Turns out it was - last summer when my Hayward Superpump 1.5 HP failed, it served just fine for the 2 weeks until I got my replacement Pentair Superflo 1.5 Energy effiicent pump. I didn't have the strainer for the powerflo (need to order one if I intend to use it long term), but after I primed it with the garden hose into the output, it worked well enough to keep my pool "clean and free from green". You may have to run the smaller pump more hours per day, but it should work.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like its going to do the job! Not as much flow as im use to but it will get me by.

9. Back To Top    #9

Is the Powerflo going to be a permament replacement, or are you looking for something else ?
    If nothing else - the Powerflo buys you some time while you consider your options.

10. Back To Top    #10

Just temporary