Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Name the stain

1. Back To Top    #1

Name the stain

Hi all,

It's probably a bit hard to tell from this pic, but I'm just wondering if anyone can have a guess at what might have caused this stain... animal, mineral, vegetable? I have 3 of them now and my best guess is it might be either bat droppings or maybe a small leaf or seed pod that sat on the floor for a bit too long (although I don't recall seeing either). The spot in this pic is about 1cm in diameter and the other 2 are a little smaller. Colour is like rust I suppose. I've tried a vitamin C tablet on it but it didn't really do anything. I'll try a bit of dry acid in a sock next. What's the best method to get one down to the floor... stick it on the end of a pole or something?

One thing I'm wondering is whether it could be caused by minerals/metals? I'm switching to plain salt, and with all the recent rain I'd reckon I'm pretty much there. but as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the pool was originally started up with a "mineral blend". My gut feeling is that mineral stains would be bigger and be situated more where the returns blow water onto the plaster (I've seen this at a friends house). Also, I really doubt the mineral blend had much other than plain old sodium chloride which is another reason I'm leaning towards animal or vegetable.

Thanks as always,
    Steve.

[attachment=0:t389gu1h]IMG_1675-1.JPG[/attachment:t389gu1h]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    37000 litre, concrete, pebble, Viron P300 pump, Hurlcon VX7T SWCG, Viron CL-400 Cartridge filter, Solar heating, Pandora Smart Robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Name the stain

If the vitamin C didn't do anything to it, it's most likely organic. You can try holding a trichlor puck on it and see what that does. If it lightens it, you can raise your FC a little higher and hold it there and it should disappear.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

What I do is put the powdered chem in a lady's knee-high stocking with a rock. tie off the top and tie a string to the nylon. Use your pool brush to place it over the stain. With the string, you can remove the packet periodically to check the progress and then use the brush to replace it.

I would not! use a trichlor puck, too much risk to the liner I'd use cal- hypo.

With the nylon being on a string, you can accurately place a small amount and check regularly - you want to lift the stain, not harm the liner
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    I would not! use a trichlor puck, too much risk to the liner...
    Sorry about that! I read Concrete in his sig and thought it was a plaster pool.
    No trichlor on a vinyl liner pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Name the stain

yeah it is a plaster pool, so is the tri-chlor puck an option? I was a bit confused about the liner reference?
    37000 litre, concrete, pebble, Viron P300 pump, Hurlcon VX7T SWCG, Viron CL-400 Cartridge filter, Solar heating, Pandora Smart Robotic cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Name the stain

actually to clarify something else I've wondered... we call it a 'pebble-crete' finish (over a concrete shell) in Australia. it's been many many years since I've come across a smooth plain plaster pool over here so its my assumption that pebble crete is basically in the same family as a 'plaster' pool as opposed to vinyl or fiberglass. is that correct?

7. Back To Top    #7

Name the stain

by the way, thanks for the good suggestions. I let you all know how I go

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by stevodevo
    actually to clarify something else I've wondered... we call it a 'pebble-crete' finish (over a concrete shell) in Australia. it's been many many years since I've come across a smooth plain plaster pool over here so its my assumption that pebble crete is basically in the same family as a 'plaster' pool as opposed to vinyl or fiberglass. is that correct?
    Yes, you are correct.

And, yes, you can use the trichlor puck method.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!