Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for outdoor TV's

1. Back To Top    #1

looking for outdoor TV's

We are looking for outdoor tv's that we can attach to our pergola. Does anybody have one that they recommend? I feel like its a very small market and they are not a cheap addition, but we want to use our pool and patio as another room verse being just out doors... Thanks for any input!
    Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: looking for outdoor TV's

I'm in the same spot. Weatherproof tv selection is limited and the products available are rediculously expensive. We've decided to buy the cheapest 22-24" tv we can find at Walmart and go with that. I'll even rig some kind of cover for the days we arn't using it. My situation is slightly different in that I'll be installing it under a water-tight pavilion. It won't receive any direct rain water, just ambient moisture and I'll store it inside during the offseason.
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED

3. Back To Top    #3

We did the same thing and bought the cheapest TV we could find and believe it or not we use a BBQ grill cover to cover it with. Ours is also installed under a covered area, but not an enclosed area. We have had no issues so far.
    16,400 gallons, Pentair 30" sand filter, IG plaster, Pentair 2 HP Pump, Pentair Model 120 Heatpump, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (no longer used), Polaris 280 Cleaning System, Doheny's Discovery Robotic Cleaner, WPC2 Controller

4. Back To Top    #4

Hookem,
    Did you run cable programming from the house or are you viewing via antenna? Thanks for the tip about using a grill cover. I'm gonna have to give it a try.

5. Back To Top    #5

We ran cable from the house as our covered area is attached to the back of the house. We are thinking of closing it all in, but one thing at a time. Our pool was plastered yesterday and is currently being filled right now.
    16,400 gallons, Pentair 30" sand filter, IG plaster, Pentair 2 HP Pump, Pentair Model 120 Heatpump, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (no longer used), Polaris 280 Cleaning System, Doheny's Discovery Robotic Cleaner, WPC2 Controller

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by hookem
    We did the same thing and bought the cheapest TV we could find...
    X2

Our tv is outside, in a covered porch so it's not being rained on, but gets the pollen/temperature/humidity extremes. Going on my third year without problems...

No cover for mine since getting rained on is very unlikely, but search "outdoor tv cover" on ebay - you'll find a bunch.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the heads up No-Mas. Those should work perfect!

8. Back To Top    #8

We actually just ordered one from a website called skyvue. They had awesome reviews and liked that they were LED outdoor TV's. Even has a floating remote... this is the one we ordered... http://www.skyvue.com/product/40-outdoor-tv-sky4010
    Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio

9. Back To Top    #9

I would think a grill cover on a TV that wasn't directly exposed to the elements would induce greater moisture concerns due to condensation.
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

10. Back To Top    #10

We have not seen any condensation occur yet, we live out in the country and the dust, pollen etc seemed to be a much bigger issue when we did not cover it.

11. Back To Top    #11

I bought a 46" Insignia LCD from Best Buy and hung it over the mantle on the outdoor fireplace.
    Best Buy offers a Platinum Level Geek Squad warranty that is good for four years. It covers everything - even a TV that is hung outside and gets wet, or a single pixel that goes bad.
    It was approx. 15% of the price of the TV, but I did verify with a Best Buy rep on the statement I made above - anything and everything is covered under the warranty.

As far as the mounting goes, you can get fairly cheap articulating mounts on amazon these days (make sure you reinforce the surface you are going to hang it on so that it can accept the lag bolts needed
    to hold the weight). Nothing better than sitting in the pool in August watching college football!
    I have also been using a grill cover for almost two years now - no moisture problems from condensation (Austin, TX).
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot09
    We actually just ordered one from a website called skyvue. They had awesome reviews and liked that they were LED outdoor TV's. Even has a floating remote... this is the one we ordered... http://www.skyvue.com/product/40-outdoor-tv-sky4010
    How do,you like this tv? I have been looking at those for quite some time now, but have not pulled the trigger. How is the brightness and overall quality?
    15,000 Gallon IG 15x30 fiberglass
    CoverStar auto safety cover
    SWG Aqua PL-PLUS
    Cartridge Filter
    240,000 LXI Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by CombatYoga
    I bought a 46" Insignia LCD from Best Buy and hung it over the mantle on the outdoor fireplace.
    Best Buy offers a Platinum Level Geek Squad warranty that is good for four years. It covers everything - even a TV that is hung outside and gets wet, or a single pixel that goes bad.
    It was approx. 15% of the price of the TV, but I did verify with a Best Buy rep on the statement I made above - anything and everything is covered under the warranty.
    Hopefully you dont ever need to use it. I have heard salesmen say pretty much anything to seel extended warranties.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatYoga
    Hopefully you dont ever need to use it. I have heard salesmen say pretty much anything to seel extended warranties.

This is very true! Unless its in writing and plan black and white I wouldn't hold my breathe.
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite
    pump size in horsepower and brand-Variable Speed, Hayward EcoStar SVRS3400
    filter size - Sta-Rite S8M150
    additional equipment - Hayward CL220 Chlorinator

15. Back To Top    #15

I opted for a JVC projector and pull down screen, mine is a bit heavy at around 20 pounds, but it is also a few years old now, the newer ones tend to be lighter, brighter, and cheaper. One of these combined with some marine grade speakers makes for a decent option to watch movies while floating in the pool, and can be carried into the house when not in use.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

16. Back To Top    #16

I know this is a little late but they actully make a cover for your TV and also they make an outdoor glare screen and it does not diminish the quality. I'm currently using a emrson 32 inch HDTV I paid 200.00 from a friend, and you can get them at Walmart. I have a TV Cabinet I put mine in and I use comcst cable with all the 900 channels. I bring it in in October and take it out in May.

17. Back To Top    #17

I have used one of the older HD widescreen tube TV's hooked up to an old broken blu-ray player that gets netflix, connected via a run of cat5. Cost me $30 for everything. Has sat outside for 3 years now, by the pool in summer, by the hot tub in winter. Use a grill cover over everything when not in use.
    That which is seen is temporary, that which is unseen is eternal, therefore, focus on the unseen things.
    24x52 Intex
    Doughboy Media Master Sand Filter
    Hayward Pump

18. Back To Top    #18

Checked out the skyview link above and it does look really nice but we could never justify that price ($2500) for an outdoor tv. However, the cheaper diy alternatives sound like an interesting idea to further "pimp my pool" and we do have both a projector ($200 when circuit city was closing) and an old TV or 2 that get little use, so we could easily sacrifice one of those. I like the idea for outdoor movies in the pool. Anyone mind posting pictures of their rig?
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.

19. Back To Top    #19

I purchased a 40" entry level Samsung for $399 on Amazon as a starting point. I then purchased a sheet of high grade plywood with a maple veneer. I made an enclosure 6 inches deep that was a bit wider and taller than the tv. I put a back on it and made a picture frame for the front and hinged it at the top all from the same piece of plywood. I mounted a two way mirror inside the frame. I then finished it with a urethane finish for a beautiful natural look. I then hung the Tv inside and mounted the cabinet to a post on our pergola. The nice thing is during the day it is just a mirror. At night the TV shows through the two way mirror without opening the cabinet. If we watch during the day we open the mirror from the top mounted hinges and hook it to the top of our pergola. This keeps the TV out of the elements and provides a great way to hide it. You should see the look on people's faces when we turn it on with the mirror closed and it just illuminates through the two way mirror. We also have AT&T Uverse and they have a wireless receiver that needs no cable other than the HDMI cable to the TV and power. It sure beats $2500 for a 40 "outdoor" TV!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

20. Back To Top    #20

ComputerGuy - how 'bout posting a picture of that bad boy?
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast