Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: split return

1. Back To Top    #1

split return

Due to an underground leak in pipe, I am forced to use just l return. Fortunately it is in the middle of the pool wall (inground vinyl). Does any one make a split return--one the screws into the return but has 2 (or even 3) forks that move the water in more than one direction. I read the reviews on a rotating return, but it had bad reviews. Have I made myself clear. It would loo like a Y (or W) with the screw-in part straight behind it.
    26,000 gallon in ground
    in floor caretaker system
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: split return

Welcome to tfp sbledsoe

Generally you want the pool to circulate or move the water in one direction so that the whole surface moves towards the skimmer/skimmers. Where are your skimmer/skimmers in relation to the return? A pic would be great!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

The skimmer is almost directly opposite the return. (It is a Roman style shaped pool)
    26,000 gallon in ground
    sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

The best you could do is probably make one yourself. I'd first try to aim the eyeball toward one side and see if I could get the pool to circulate around somewhat. You may find that, that's all it takes. If that doesn't do it then a specially designed return might be your only hope.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have drawn out what I need but I can't make it. Do I go to a plumber, pooler, or who to help make it?
    26,000 gallon in ground
    sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Head on down to your local hardware or plumbing store (not big box) and show the plumbing guy what you want and maybe they can help. If not they may know someone. Another alternative is to take it to your local pool store and see what they say.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you
    26,000 gallon in ground
    sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I found what I needed. A 3 way splitter, a connector with male grooves, and 3 eyeballs that fit into the splitter perfectly. All these things fit together very well so I have water moving 3 ways--better than it ever has. It sticks out about 3 inches, so when there are swimmers, I can just unscrew it. Then put it back for circulation. Thanks for your responses. (By the way, it all cost lest than 10 dollars)
    26,000 gallon in ground
    sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I am sure people would love to see pictures
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

When the water clears more, I'll post some. I would jinx it to take it apart now.
    26,000 gallon in ground
    sand filter