Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt

1. Back To Top    #1
    Virginia Beach

I have been trying to find where I can post a question about how to add salt to an SWG pool as I am low on salt.
    1- Is there a preferred method of adding salt? (I looked all over the site for the topic.
    2- I could not find where I can post the new topic, so I came to this place on the site. Do you make it hard for us to do this on purpose? No offense meant, just a question

Could not find any instructions in the calculator or in the Chemisry School

Should I just dump it in? Should pump be running? Should SWG chlorinator be off? ETC ETc

Cush Dobbs
    22'x40' IG, Freeform, 26K gal, Vinyl liner pool(2011), three returns plus two step jets, one slide, two skimmers, two LED lights, Stamped Concrete with Aqua PL-Plus Automation panel, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter 500lb, Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 (SWG) Smart Pool Scrubber60 Robotic Pool Vac.

2. Back To Top    #2

New Caney, Texas

Re: Salt

Add salt, brush it around, run pump at least 24 hours, turn on SWCG.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

George has got you covered! I just walk around my pool as I dump it to attempt to evenly spread it out. My pump is running.

Quote Originally Posted by cood60
    2- I could not find where I can post the new topic, so I came to this place on the site. Do you make it hard for us to do this on purpose? No offense meant, just a question
    Salt Water Chlorine Generators (SWG)
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

Recommended Pool Chemicals in Pool School is a good place to look for answers to this kind of question.

Salt can be just dumped in, after which you want to run the pump for 24 hours and keep the SWG turned off for 24 hours.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Lakeland, FL

You don't have to purchase "pool salt", water softener salt works fine, it's a little courser and will need a little more time to dissolve depending on water temperature. When I first added salt on my install it took 45 minutes for about 400 lbs to dissolve. Added salt, brushed sides and mixed it in. The salt looked like diamonds on the bottom of the pool for a while, looked pretty cool.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6
    Tucson, AZ

Look for "solar salt" as that does not have any additives and is cheaper than the pool salt but has the same purity.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!