Compupool Sizing for 18x36 27k gallon

Jul 11, 2009
North Alabama
After doing a fair amount of research, I am considering pulling the trigger on a Compupool CSPC 36 or maybe a 48 in the next couple of days. My pool is about 27k gallons, and I currently run the pump about 10-12 hrs a day in the summer and actually wouldnt mind reducing that if I can get enough circulation. I know I need to oversize the swg for this, but is the 36 oversized enough? Its rated for 40k gallons and The output ratings Ive seen on these forums and online show the 36 at about 1.7-1.8lbs/24hrs which is comparable to other manufacturers 40k gallon or larger units (Hayward Aqua rite 40 and Pentair IC40 is only 1.4!).

Is reliabiliy so far for those that have them seem to be on par with the Hayward, Pentair, and Jandy? (none of them seem to have spotless records) I have read some reports of overheating with these, but it seems to be fairly easily resolved, and also some cutting on off. If there is a problem, is the customer service decent?

Also, have they been out long enough to know the longevity of the cells? They are more expensive than the readily available generic cells for the Haywards, which may ultimately make the Hayward cheaper long run.

Hey landonp, welcome to TFP! :wave:

The amount you want to oversize your cell will be based on a few different factors. If your pool is in direct sunlight, you will lose chlorine faster. Also, the more often you swim, the more often you have to replenish chlorine levels. In general, the 9 gallon difference with the 36 should be enough. But like I said, if you have a pool in direct sunlight that gets used often, a larger system would not be a bad idea!

I would not recommend CompuPool as your brand choice. I have not seen good feedback on the quality or longevity of their products. Also, their customer service is not impressive in my book.

Hayward's products are good quality, but the service and support is sometimes lacking.

Pentair probably would be your best bet based on quality of product and support.

I've got a Compupool CPSC48 and have been pretty happy with it. It doesn't have any fancy bells and whistles, but does the job of producing chlorine. I've had to adjust the output a couple times during the season. In the summer I run my pump approx 10 hours or so and in the winter 5 hours.
The biggest factor in my decision was unit cost/output and longevity. SWCG have been around for a while, it's not new technology anymore. They have a decent warranty compared to other brands. The cell is in a clear unit so it's easy to see if the cell needs cleaning. My cell has been installed for 9-10 months and hasn't needed cleaning. It does reversing polarity. When I first installed it, I had a few issues, not being familar with SWCG, I called the company (in Florida) they promptly answered my questions and addressed my concerns. Overall I would recommend Compupool, it's a good value.

Boboda, I have read several of your posts and they are some of the reasons I am considering the Compupool, or Circupool (just found out RJ45 is $749 right now so its about the same price and supposedly has a couple of minor features and slightly better warranty)!I dont need any bells and whistles even though the automation capability of the IC is cool.

It is good to hear you were able to talk with Compupool customer service and they were indeed helpful. I have read more reviews and it seems that Pentair and Hayward have their share of problems along with customer service horror stories, and I cant get past the fact that the Pentair cell costs more than $500. Im strongly leaning towards the CSPC36 or 48 or RJ45 at this time.

Also back to the sizing... the CSPC36 is rated for 1.9lbs per day. I want to run my pump for 10hrs in summer. We swim daily once it gets hot, but its usually just 3-4 people in the pool max. This is Alabama and the sun is direct on the pool until 3pm every day, so the water gets low to mid 90s pretty quickly after summer kicks in. Oh maybe this helps... on the BBB method, I used 128oz of 6% bleach in heat of summer with the normal load. Does it sound like I am right-sizing with the 36? I hate to waste the $160 difference to get the 48 if its not necessary.

I think you'd be in a better position with the larger unit. You can always turn it down and the $160 over the life of the unit is really not that much. Salt cells have a rated life around 10,000 hours at full power, theoretically if you turn down the percentage you extend the life. (In theory.)

I guess along those lines of thinking, I could also reduce the pump time from 10 to 8 hrs and increase the cell's number of days useful life by 20%! (in theory of course!) If this actually played to theory, it would pay for the difference before the first cell was replaced...

One other thing I thought about... Hayward/Pentair have been around forever, and parts should be easy to find. Any concern about the parts for these? I guess you could look at it, that the replacement cells cost almost as much as a new unit anyway, so worse case, you replace the whole thing

I've got a 17x33 pool and use the CompuPool CSPC36 on mine.
I get full sun all day during the summer months. I run it at about 70% and my filter runs a total of 8 or so hours a day. If i have people over I keep my pump on longer and may turn it up a bit, but that's just my preference.
Seeing that your pool is slightly larger I think you will be alright with either.

I've contacted costumer service and had no problems getting helpful responses from them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just called compupool, and they said the 36 would be fine even at running the pump 8-10hrs a day. Their recommendation was similar to what you said WestSide... if there are a lot of people in the pool then may have to turn the output up or run the pump longer. I usually run the pump all day if we ever have a party, so no problems there!

One final monkey just added. Just found a deal on a never before installed Hayward Swimpure+ 40k gallon (has the same cell as the Aquarite, looks identical actually everywhere). It is guaranteed to work, new, etc. but it was purchased 2 years ago and not installed. $350. Sounds very hard to pass up, no warranty, but could buy new controller or new cell nearly for difference in cost! Would most agree that the Hayward is at least as good quality as the compupool if not better, especially at that pricepoint, or is there something Im missing?

landonp said:
One final monkey just added. Just found a deal on a never before installed Hayward Swimpure+ 40k gallon (has the same cell as the Aquarite, looks identical actually everywhere). It is guaranteed to work, new, etc. but it was purchased 2 years ago and not installed. $350. Sounds very hard to pass up, no warranty, but could buy new controller or new cell nearly for difference in cost! Would most agree that the Hayward is at least as good quality as the compupool if not better, especially at that pricepoint, or is there something Im missing?

Sounds like a smokin' deal. I actually bought the same unit about 2 years ago and then decided I wanted the Pro Logic Automation (still not installed) to also control solar. I actually kept the cell, plumbing kit, and electrical wires and sold just the controller box for $360 which made us both happy since the controllers are usually $450+ anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.