Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: wrestling mat bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

wrestling mat bottom

Here goes a weird question. Could you use wrestling mat under the pool instead of foam board. We use to run a martial arts school and I have a ton of the tan foam mats. I think they are 1 1/2 inches thick. We duct tape them together at the seams to make bigger surfaces lke foam board. It's a lot better made though. Can this be done ??? I can add a pcture if you like.
    Artesian pool 24' x 54'' buried in ground
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP pump
    200 lb SD-60 Pentair Sand Dollar filter
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: wrestling mat bottom

Interesting. Since foam works, I think the wrestling mats would also. The only issue is them trying to sink in at the seams, which may not be an issue at all.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I like the idea too...one thing that occurs to me is they most likely will become saturated at times and might start breaking down? Guess if they did you could just replace when you do the next liner changes (years and years hopefully). It would be pretty hard for nut grass to get through them!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Wouldn't they crack and separate at the seams? Are they designated for outdoor use?
    I don't know just asking.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

They don't crack when left directly outside. I have a few rolls stored in my yard. Mainly b/c they are heavy to move and i'm lazy. We put some under our intex a few years ago.
    Artesian pool 24' x 54'' buried in ground
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP pump
    200 lb SD-60 Pentair Sand Dollar filter
    Taylor K-2006