Live in Michigan, peeked under cover, GREEN, what to do?

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
I live in michigan, won't open the pool for another 2 months, I peeked under the cover and it was GREEN GREEN, lol Should i do anything to it now? or wait 2 months? lol I would assume it would even get worse in 2 months. When they closed the pool i don't think they shocked it well enough.

so what should i do?

15,000 inground fiberglass pool with spa.

Curious question, Why is the water on top of the spa cover crystal clear, while the water inside the pool is GREEN GREEN.

help much appreciated, thanks

Re: Live in Michigan, peeked under cover, GREEN, what to do

If it's winterized (and I assume it is) then I'd wait till opening to deal with it. In order to do anything about it now you'd have to de-winterize it and that would create a whole new set of problems to deal with. In the mean time I suggest you read and become best friends with the pool school articles on how to defeat algae.

Yeah, you'll need to wait 'til you open or you'll end up doing it twice.

You will be able to shock your pool into submission with a little diligence and a lot of chlorine..

Can't answer your question about why the spa is not green. Algae, in it's thousands of forms, likes certain conditions and dislikes others.

problem is we are having way above average weather, 60+ degrees all week and gonna touch 70 degrees today.

if i do nothing isn't it gonna become a thick green goo if i do nothing for 2 months?

problem is i have a mesh cover and it allows some sunlight to get thru.

Well will have to listen to you guys and leave it alone for 2 month till i open it. (pool is 3 years old)

Maybe cut the open time in 1/2. With these warm temps we're having I'm debating about opening in early to mid April here in Ohio. You'll still have to fight a green pool, but you'll run into a chance we keep warm temps up and have a longer swim season. Leaving it will allow green stuff to keep growing, but it won't take much more to shock it when you do open. We'll help you out. If you really wana do something, start stocking up on bleach.

As dramatic as a green pool appears, it is easily shocked into submission. Wait until it is time to open. Doing so will not make it harder to clear. Trust us...we have been down this road before. :)

smooth2222 said:
Curious question, Why is the water on top of the spa cover crystal clear, while the water inside the pool is GREEN GREEN.
It may be a difference in nutrient levels since the top of the spa cover may just have rain water. Or it could be the difference in sunlight exposure -- some algae likes light while some species do not.

In sunny Buffalo NY here! Same thing peeked under the cover and green! We usually open May 1st we will try to open earlier if we can this year because of the abnormally high temps however... It is Buffalo we're probably due for another snowfall LOL!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.