Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wife concerned about SWG and 'crusty' residue

1. Back To Top    #1

Wife concerned about SWG and 'crusty' residue

Ok, I was all set to but a SWG and because of the stupid salt dish in the Hermit Crab habitat getting crusty as it dries my wife is turned off to the idea of having a salt pool. The Crab Mix I am sure is much more higher level than a swg pool. Does anyone have issues with Residue around the pool area?
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wife concerned about SWG and 'crusty' residue

Quote Originally Posted by rjg202
    Ok, I was all set to but a SWG and because of the stupid salt dish in the Hermit Crab habitat getting crusty as it dries my wife is turned off to the idea of having a salt pool. The Crab Mix I am sure is much more higher level than a swg pool. Does anyone have issues with Residue around the pool area?
    I don't see any residue around the pool deck. However, I have a dark brown patio table that when splashed, I can see a hazy residue where the salty water dried off but I wouldn't call it crusty.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

SWGs use salt levels around 3000 ppm. I don't know how that compares to the crab dip, but it is about 1/10 of the concentration in sea water. I never notice any residue left on splashed surfaces from my salt pool water.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Seawater salinity is about 35,000ppm vs around 3500ppm for a salt pool. 10 times as much salt in your crab habitat than the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat