Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster color?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster color?

I cannot decide. Right now it is white. Beautiful when went in but began showing stains.
    I think I would like gray but most gray pools I have seen have streaks or random discoloration. Well? Input please.
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Intellichlor Salt Generator
    Water Fall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster color?

We went with a Quartzscapes Super Blue finish on our pool just completed a couple of months ago.Our summers are pretty hot here in the Tulsa, OK area, so we didn't want to go any darker than this, as the darker the finish, the warmer the pool will be in the summer.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Hey Miscanthus, what color stains are you seeing? Have you tried removing them with anything? Also, do you test your pool chemistry often?

Stains can happen for a variety of reasons, including your pH level, calcium level, dissolved metals, and algae. If you give us some more information about your pool (pics are always helpful), we might be able to help you manage your stains without having to re-plaster.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I am replastering my pool and can't decide which color to do.
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Intellichlor Salt Generator
    Water Fall

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mhosborn
    We went with a Quartzscapes Super Blue finish on our pool just completed a couple of months ago.Our summers are pretty hot here in the Tulsa, OK area, so we didn't want to go any darker than this, as the darker the finish, the warmer the pool will be in the summer.
    Do you have any pic's you can post we are trying to decide on Quartzscapes color and Super Blue is what we are leaning towards but can't find pic's. Next would be Aruba Sky or Tahoe Blue but I think they are to dark we have a very big, deep pool and don't want it to dark for the kids to swim in deep end and can't see bottom of pool. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Black. I have only seen one black pool but it looked really cool. Haven't seen another one since then.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

To the OP~

Who is doing your replastering? Can you go and see other pools in your area that they have done?

I am very much in favor of a light-colored pool, especially if the pool has a deep end. My pool is essentially a very pale blue, and I am glad for its lightness. It is very, very easy to see every square inch of its surface, and I know I will never have any algae or staining sneaking up on me, as might happen with a dark surface. It is very easy to find lost earrings; it is easy to see every speck of dirt, every dead worm, every piece of ick that might get in there.

A black PebbleTec pool in my area was featured in a local magazine a few years ago. Yes, it is stunning to look at, but I know that you would never easily be able to see problems with the water or the PTec.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.