Chelated copper for algae?

attr

Mar 3, 2012
Was looking at using copper to help prevent algae growth however am a little confused form my aquarium day.
All these products recommend a maintance does?
Why chelated
Copper should never come out of solution on amounts large enough to require weekly additions

.75 ppm of copper should be enough at least of "non stabilized copper"

Any input I know bbb doesn't like chemicals but this pool only gets seen once a week.(mothers pool)

But anything to slow algae growth will help the cl stay longer... I will be adding borates as well.

BBB uses the same chemicals as any other pools. With BBB, the difference is that you know why you are adding them and what they do in your water. We don't recommend any copper based algaecide to be added to pools. Copper stains pool surfaces and turns hair green.

Copper will stain sometimes at a level too low to be effective against algae. Also you still have to maintain the proper FC and that will prevent any algae so the copper will have nothing to stop. The FC won't last longer with the copper in there because the sunlight is the biggest user of FC.

The best thing you could do is add a SWCG to the pool and you could get by with checking once a week, once it's set up and running correctly. You could also add some polyquat to the pool periodically as it adds nothing bad to the pool.

First and most important thing is to TEST!
You can kill algae in a few ways.
Phosphate remover-> get rid of the food source. This is done by precipitating the PO4 using lanthium chloride. This may be a never ending battle depending on source water. Here in Florida out source water is so high is phosphate that it is off most test kit scales!
KILL IT-> Add a chemical to slow or kill the algae for a short time and maintain the population so low that it is not an issue ( BBB method)
Slow it-> Shade. UV sterilizer

Follow the same rule my company follows. IF YOU CAN'T TEST IT DON'T ADD IT.
You have no way of knowing what your existing copper level is at.

First and foremost, don't waste your time or money on phosphate remover. There are several people on the forum that have extermely high phosphates and never have a problem. If you keep the sanitizer level correct for the CYA you'll never have an algae problem, period.

UV is not beneficial on an outdoor pool. The sun provides more UV than any artifical light could ever provide.

I do absolutely agree with "IF YOU CAN'T TEST IT DON'T ADD IT".

Yes should of put that In a different order. Cl is best option the po4 remover is by far most expensive if the phosphates are always being added . .. Source water organic material ending up in pool and so on.Don't discount uv use i have used these on fish systems our doors with great success however a comparable system for a large pool would cost more electric to run then all the po4 remover and cl. You could throw at it :)

Have you
Considered a swg? You mainly just add salt to the pool.
Again testing prior to use .

I would not consider phosphate removers or UV (in an outdoor pool) as effective ways to control algae.

Chlorine is and always has been the single best sanitizer and algae killer you can use.

The bottom line is that chlorine alone, at the appropriate level relative to CYA, will prevent algae growth without the need for algaecides, copper, phosphate removers, UV or ozone systems, or anything else for that matter. It's your pool and you can use whatever you want in it, but just know that the tens of thousands of members on this and other pool forums use chlorine to prevent algae growth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.