Proper plumbing procedure for a 24' (48" deep) above ground

Mar 12, 2012
Maryland
I bought a home with an above ground. I'm noticing the way the pump and filter are hooked up and I'm not too sure about the procedures and connections.

1. Inside the pool the discharge and skimmer box are about the same level, I notice there are no valves on the pipe that runs from the skimmer basket to the intake of the pump and the valve that runs out from the filter to the dischage on the pool. The homeowner left some valves, but they were in their bags never opened. If I try to open the cleaner basket on the pump, water starts to shoot out. So this leads me to believe valves should be at least before the pump and after the filter, is this correct????

2. The base for the pump and filter cracked and seperated. I removed it and threw it away. So the pump is laying on the concrete paver stone and the filter is sitting on another concrete paver. Should I at least make some sort of "wooden" base for the pump? The pump dosen't move off the pad or anything when I turn it on....?

3. What material should I use for the screwed in couplings on the pump connections and the filter connections. I was thinking teflon tape? But is this correct?

Thanks

Re: Proper plumbing procedure for a 24' (48" deep) above gro

1) They are usually pretty close to the same level with the return being a little lower. A lot of people plumb them with flex hose and don't use valves. They just put a plug in the skimmer when they have to open the plumbing.

2) If they stay level it's fine to leave them that way.

3) Teflon tape is fine however, I prefer paste to tape, but it's a personal thing.

Hard piping with a valve and union before the pump and after the filter is the best way to go. That way you can remove the pump and/or filter without having to go to much trouble.

Re: Proper plumbing procedure for a 24' (48" deep) above gro

Bama Rambler said:
1) They are usually pretty close to the same level with the return being a little lower. A lot of people plumb them with flex hose and don't use valves. They just put a plug in the skimmer when they have to open the plumbing.

2) If they stay level it's fine to leave them that way.

3) Teflon tape is fine however, I prefer paste to tape, but it's a personal thing.

Hard piping with a valve and union before the pump and after the filter is the best way to go. That way you can remove the pump and/or filter without having to go to much trouble.

Thanks, this makes since. I have plenty of teflon. I was also wondering, what type of clamps are used, do you just use those screw clamps you can find at the hardware store?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.