Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ever tried submerging a 50lb bucket of trichlor with holes?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ever tried submerging a 50lb bucket of trichlor with holes?

I understand that shocking a pool to get clear water to open a pool is the gold standard! At around $12 per application it seems pretty inexpensive, even if you have to do it twice.

My pool guy says shock is a waste of money, somehow? He suggests submerging a 50lb bucket of trichlor in the pool.

He says that in a week or two, you will have a clear pool - even with the pump off.

Anyone ever tried this approach? Would love to see what other posters found if they've tried it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ever tried submerging a 50lb bucket of trichlor with hol

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on how big the pool is, how much CYA is in the water, and such. But as a rule, we don't tend to suggest it. Too many unknowns for a generalization.
    In reality, we understand that shocking a pool is more than unloading a bag or tub of some chemicals into a swimming pool and walking away, and thus do not advocate dosing without measuring. There is a particular FC level which is effective and safe for a given level of CYA in the water, and that is where the chlorine should be maintained until all the organics are killed.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

I have never heard of such a thing.

4. Back To Top    #4

What you have to understand is that pool guys can't spend the kind of time it requires to clear a swamp properly so they have to come up with things that allow them to go on to the next client. Since it's not their pool they don't really care if they create a problem. They can handle the problem as they go.

Adding 50 lbs of Trichlor to my pool would raise the CYA by 256!
    It would raise the FC by 422 but since it dissolves over time and it's being used up killing the algae it's not as much of an issue as the CYA. It also affects the pH a lot!

I wouldn't recommend doing this under any circumstances.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by et
    I understand that shocking a pool to get clear water to open a pool is the gold standard! At around $12 per application it seems pretty inexpensive, even if you have to do it twice.
    My pool guy says shock is a waste of money, somehow? He suggests submerging a 50lb bucket of trichlor in the pool.
    Welcome to TFP!

Have you priced a 50 lb bucket of Trichlor? At Leslies (which is expensive) that's $120

Go read pool school and esepcially the article about shocking - it's a process not a thing you add one or two times.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

It's a very bad idea. You should definitely not do it.

7. Back To Top    #7

In addition to all of the above, if your pool is vinyl, the amount of chlorine that accumulates close to the bucket could severely damage it, reducing its life expectancy drastically.
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Those pucks have a pH of around 2.0. Not sure I would drop a bucket of those in my pool. Not to mention everything else that makes up a tablet!

9. Back To Top    #9

it's a process not a thing you add one or two times.
    This was the first (and far from last) useful thing I learned here. When I first moved in I was throwing bags of dichlor in, and never enough to make a dent, to the green swamp that came with our new house.

Bleach bottles, testing, and filtering are what you need.
    35k inground Plaster w/ attached spa, 2hp Pentair single speed pump, EasyTouch with Intellichlor, 48 Sqft DE filter, BBB managed

Need a heater!

10. Back To Top    #10

I think a tactical nuke would work too, but just like the bucket-o-tabs its overkill and will damage the pool.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm in the midst of seeing this being done on a brand new 280,000-gallon public pool with a PVC liner. This person has had three 50-lb trichlor buckets with holes sitting out for about three weeks now. I'm always eager to learn new things.
    7600 gallons (18' x 4' round), Sherlok 120 Cartridge filter, AG, Hayward Matrix 1 HP 86GPM, installed 1999, well water topping off original fill

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.
    I'm in the midst of seeing this being done on a brand new 280,000-gallon public pool with a PVC liner.
    Really? 280k and vinyl liner? Do you have a pic?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac
    I think a tactical nuke would work too, but just like the bucket-o-tabs its overkill and will damage the pool.
    Lershac, I seriously LOLd, quite hard on this.
    Why didn't I think of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhitch
    I'm in the midst of seeing this being done on a brand new 280,000-gallon public pool with a PVC liner. This person has had three 50-lb trichlor buckets with holes sitting out for about three weeks now. I'm always eager to learn new things.
    Are you serious? Someone is actually doing this let alone to a pool that size? Are they sitting on the bottom?
    What, are they trying to etch a hole to [s:g5d9q2at]China[/s:g5d9q2at], er.. the USA, or make a bigger deep end? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Really? 280k and vinyl liner? Do you have a pic?
    Yes, I second that, do show pics. Because we all know it never happened unless you have photos to prove it happened.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D