Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coldest you've gone in?

1. Back To Top    #1

Coldest you've gone in?

What's the coldest temperature you've gone in your pool? It's early Autumn here and although my pool is at 21C, diving in is pretty cold, yet refreshing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coldest you've gone in?

Quote Originally Posted by eeece
    What's the coldest temperature you've gone in your pool? It's early Autumn here and although my pool is at 21C, diving in is pretty cold, yet refreshing
    Refreshing? That's cold! I'll swim in the upper 70s F, but ideally 84F is my perfect temp. Wife wants it warmer than that.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Some years ago, a friend we had over for dinner convinced my then 12-13 y/o son they should go for an evening dip. It was December and the temp was 48-49 as best as I remember.

They stayed in probably 3-5 minutes trying to convince me it wasn't that bad.......they were lying through their blue lips
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

24 degrees outside, 101 in the hot tub and 41 in the pool. Coldest night of winter in SE Texas in 2010 - 11. I jumped in twice and will never do that again. It is amazing what some Saki will let your friends talk you into doing with them. After doing that and thinking about it the next day I am really surprised none of us went into shock going from the hot tub to the cold water. The wives on the other hand were the smart ones and stayed in the hot tub.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

5. Back To Top    #5

Coldest you've gone in?

65F. We were desperate to swim after the pool got installed!
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

JohnT and I are like minded. Once I get use to mid 80's when it gets to high 70's gets cold. The older I get the warmer I like it.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

7. Back To Top    #7

60 degrees F. When we first had the pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool? I think 79F.

In my younger days, it wasn't uncommon to plunge into ice-cold rivers and lakes fed by melting snow while backpacking. Once there was even ice on the shallow edges of the creek.

I'm pretty sure the last time was about 20 years ago, when a bunch of guys went on a campout. We played "Quien es mas macho?" First guy in to his waist got to claim the title, until someone else plunged in completely. And then he was unseated by someone who not only went all the way in, but swam across underwater. And then we all scrambled out and sat on a boulder in the sun.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm thinking it was 74ish when I got in around closing time last season. If I get to open early - most likely there will be a couple cold swims

I need to check and see what temp it is now. These 80 degree days are taunting me. Next weekend the overnight lows are predicted to be in the upper 30s. Not a chance it's time to open yet..

The next month is going to take a long time.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

10. Back To Top    #10

Two years ago when I was opening up the pool...I got the cover off...and have a floater...as I was filling the pool I threw the floater up over the top of my rail fence...and as I let it go I realized that I didn't screw the lid on tighly...and sure enoug...before the floater hit the water all my little one inch pucks fell out and all over the bottom of the pool. I didn't even have the ladder in yet...while it was in the low 70s outside...it wasn't even 60 degrees in the pool...maybe 58 tops...But there I was...in my shorts and tee shirt climing up the still outside the pool ladder with goggles to dive in to the chilly abyss to one by one pick up all those tiny pucks so as not to ruin my liner.

THe sad part is that fall when I closed the pool I did the same thing...only this time it was sunny and about 58 out side and 58 inside the pool. Now that was bad...
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    Two years ago when I was opening up the pool...I got the cover off...and have a floater...as I was filling the pool I threw the floater up over the top of my rail fence...and as I let it go I realized that I didn't screw the lid on tighly...and sure enoug...before the floater hit the water all my little one inch pucks fell out and all over the bottom of the pool. I didn't even have the ladder in yet...while it was in the low 70s outside...it wasn't even 60 degrees in the pool...maybe 58 tops...But there I was...in my shorts and tee shirt climing up the still outside the pool ladder with goggles to dive in to the chilly abyss to one by one pick up all those tiny pucks so as not to ruin my liner.

THe sad part is that fall when I closed the pool I did the same thing...only this time it was sunny and about 58 out side and 58 inside the pool. Now that was bad...
    Did you try a leaf net on a pole first?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

Coldest I've jumped in was 55 degrees on new years day this year. My daughter just couldn't wait to go in after the new liner was installed. I was in for 4-5 mins tops.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Quote Originally Posted by eeece
    Refreshing? That's cold! I'll swim in the upper 70s F, but ideally 84F is my perfect temp. Wife wants it warmer than that.
    Well, outside is still pretty muggy and hot, with the Sun getting lower so there's a mix. :P

Some of you guys have gone is some extreme coldness, I'm shivering thinking about it

14. Back To Top    #14

32F+...polar dipping up here in the great white north
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26

Did you try a leaf net on a pole first?
    Yep...they were so small I couldn't get them all into the net. It was time to go in.
    Beave

16. Back To Top    #16

Yep...they were so small I couldn't get them all into the net. It was time to go in.
    OUCH! :P

17. Back To Top    #17

My old pool was painted steel and wintered empty. It was deep well-filled every spring and water temp at fill was always 52°F. I would always do a lap at fill just so I could say I did.

I'm (a lot) older now and somehow the idea no longer attracts me. And my current pool is usually a balmy 55°F when the cover comes off.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    My old pool was painted steel and wintered empty. It was deep well-filled every spring and water temp at fill was always 52°F. I would always do a lap at fill just so I could say I did.

I'm (a lot) older now and somehow the idea no longer attracts me. And my current pool is usually a balmy 55°F when the cover comes off.
    Durk...you know that expression "it takes your breath away"...That was meant for guys like us...jumping into water that is in the 50s or lower...and Yep...it definitely makes the heart beat a lot quicker!...
    Beave

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    I don't know quite how cold I have been in my pool. But I have snorkeled in caves in Mexico with out a wet suit and it was easily 60 degrees. Refreshing is the word. My ideal temp is 80-85.
    Lomart 21ft round 11,000 gal 52"
    Hayward EC40 Perflex DE filter
    1hp Hayward Powerflo Matrix with micro timer
    Pool Rover JR ABG pool Vacuum (The best)

Back up pump and filter
    Spectra 3 sand filter/ Promega 1 horse pump with timer

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by NJpoolguy
    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    I don't know quite how cold I have been in my pool. But I have snorkeled in caves in Mexico with out a wet suit and it was easily 60 degrees. Refreshing is the word. My ideal temp is 80-85.
    Went overboard in 60 feet of water to cut downwrigger wire out of the propeller while trolling for salmon on lake Michigan in Early May...water temp was about 54 that day...This was 5 miles out...Easily colder than that. My Dad was steering at the time...made too sharp of a turn and caught up some of the 40 feet of wire in the Prop...So much so I had to come out twice because my fingers kept going numb and I couldn't get the wire cut after I would cut of and pull a wrap off. Never been numb in my pool though!!!
    Beave