Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG or Automatic Chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG or Automatic Chlorinator

Hello Everyone I'm new here but not new to pools, but I do have a question. I presently have a Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator which was installed with my new pool back in 08". Last year I replaced the flow switch and now the begining of this season the T-15 cell is no longer working, replacement cost around $500.00. Thinking about replacing it but now the power light on the generator comes on intermittanly. Should I stay with SWG or seek out another way. Thanks I have a 18' x 36' inground gunite pool
    18x36' Gunite Capacity 18,200 Gallons, Aqua Lite SWCG, Polaris 380 cleaner, Swimclear Quad Cluster Cartridge Filter, Super II Pump, Tri-Star Pump, 6060 Buster Pump, Pentair Automatic Water Filler

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG or Automatic Chlorinator

Welcome to TFP!

Stick with the SWCG. It is by far the easiest to maintain. Puck type chlorinators will get your CYA so high within half a season you will struggle to control algae.

Water chemistry can affect the life of a cell. Check out Pool School for guidance or post a full set of test results for advice from the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP Twista!
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks John T & Hey George N
    Question: Should I go back with OEM or can I use a generic T-cell 15, what is the pro's and con's, of course the generic is cheaper.

Thanks
    18x36' Gunite Capacity 18,200 Gallons, Aqua Lite SWCG, Polaris 380 cleaner, Swimclear Quad Cluster Cartridge Filter, Super II Pump, Tri-Star Pump, 6060 Buster Pump, Pentair Automatic Water Filler

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Welcome to TFP!

Stick with the SWCG. It is by far the easiest to maintain. Puck type chlorinators will get your CYA so high within half a season you will struggle to control algae.

Water chemistry can affect the life of a cell. Check out Pool School for guidance or post a full set of test results for advice from the forum.
    Hey John T
    Can I drop in a couple of chlorine pucks in the skimmer until I get my new T-15 cell?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Can I drop in a couple of chlorine pucks in the skimmer until I get my new T-15 cell?
    Liquid bleach would be better. It's just a guess without test results.

How does your water look?

How long have you been without chlorination?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

My son dropped a few tabs in the skimmer and now it is a minty light green color, so I removed the pucks.
    The water was clear prior to him putting in the pucks.
    Been without chlorination for about 3 wks. 0 chlorine, 8.2 ph

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Twista01
    My son dropped a few tabs in the skimmer and now it is a minty light green color, so I removed the pucks.
    The water was clear prior to him putting in the pucks.
    Been without chlorination for about 3 wks. 0 chlorine, 8.2 ph

Thanks
    Well, I don't think the pucks changed the water color themselves. More likely the FC from the pucks just started to break down some algae hiding somewhere and it is now is suspension to be filtered out.

EDIT: And you likely need to get your Ph down ASAP to prevent scaling (possible cause of the cell failure?). You want the Ph "right" before you start your shocking process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I did eventually put the pucks back in the skimmer, chlorine is fine and Ph is great 7.3 Water is nice and clear
    Thanks for everything
    Awaiting the arrival of my new T-Cell 15