Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Building vinyl over steps

Building vinyl over steps

Need ideas on building steps for a new pool build. Steps will be width of pool at 20 ft and 1 step will be extra wide for play area for younger kid and could work as a tanning ledge. Was thinking of building steps from block and putting concrete for the top. Anyone have sugustions on the best way to build the steps or should they just be formed and an finished. Help!!! And thanks!

Re: Building vinyl over steps

Talk to Duraleigh. I'm pretty sure he built his pool that way.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Welcome to TFP!!

Is this a liner pool that you want to 'rehab' to accommodate the step and ledge?

With enough info on what you have v.s. what you want, the great group here should be able to help you get to where you want to be.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

New pool.

Senior Member In the Industry

I did mine using concrete blocks and then filled them with cement. Then troweled a fine cement type product to get them smooth and level.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Hi Kellym, I'm having a pool built right now, they should finish the actual digging of the pool today. Believe it or not mine is going to be a vinyl liner with a set of steps running the width of the pool, the first step is 2.5' followed by 2 normal steps. If you've got a few days-week to figure it out I'll have plenty of pictures showing how mine were made in this thread decided-to-build-first-pool-this-spring-t41345.html you can see a diagram of my future pool there as well.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

Here is picture of how our vinyl over steps were built. They put padding between the concrete and liner. We had a bench put in the deep end that was done the same way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x43x28, 32K gal, True L Vinyl IG
    DE Filter, 1.5 HP Pump, Heat Pump, IC40 SWG, Pentair Easytouch, Dolphin Supreme M4