Can you use a DE filter with a salt generator?

m61376

Mar 12, 2012
Hi-
I am consider switching to a SWG and doing preliminary research. One person I spoke with told me that he would not install it if I was using a DE filter and that I would have to switch the filter to a sand filter.

Is that correct? What are potential issues with a DE filter?

Thanks for the help!!

Thanks! It's very strange, because I spoke to one person who told me the DE would trap the salt and it would get backwashed out., so he wouldn't even install it unless I also changed the filter. It was the pool guy that a friend has been using for years and was going to convert his pool, so I spoke to him about mine.

Is there any issue about salt waste with the DE filters? I thought the whole idea was that the salt would be completely dissolved.

Is the system installed on the return side of the filter?

Oh- thanks for the warm welcome!!

m61376 said:
Thanks! It's very strange, because I spoke to one person who told me the DE would trap the salt and it would get backwashed out., so he wouldn't even install it unless I also changed the filter. It was the pool guy that a friend has been using for years and was going to convert his pool, so I spoke to him about mine.

Is there any issue about salt waste with the DE filters? I thought the whole idea was that the salt would be completely dissolved.

Is the system installed on the return side of the filter?

Oh- thanks for the warm welcome!!

The salt will be completely dissolved and in solution - it can not be trapped by the filter. What he was referring to is that when you backwash your filter, you are removing water form the pool and when you replace the lost water you are diluting the concentration of the salt. Eventually you will need to add some more salt to bring your levels back up. But you typically have to backwash more with a sand filter then you would with a DE filter so they really don't know what they're talking about :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.