Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you use a DE filter with a salt generator?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you use a DE filter with a salt generator?

Hi-
    I am consider switching to a SWG and doing preliminary research. One person I spoke with told me that he would not install it if I was using a DE filter and that I would have to switch the filter to a sand filter.

Is that correct? What are potential issues with a DE filter?

Thanks for the help!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you use a DE filter with a salt generator?

Welcome to TFP!

You can absolutely use a DE filter with a SWCG. One has nothing to do with the other.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I had a Hayward DE filter with a Hayward SWCG at my last house and am planning to add a Hayward SWCG to the Hayward DE filter at my current house ... no problem
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! It's very strange, because I spoke to one person who told me the DE would trap the salt and it would get backwashed out., so he wouldn't even install it unless I also changed the filter. It was the pool guy that a friend has been using for years and was going to convert his pool, so I spoke to him about mine.

Is there any issue about salt waste with the DE filters? I thought the whole idea was that the salt would be completely dissolved.

Is the system installed on the return side of the filter?

Oh- thanks for the warm welcome!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by m61376
    Thanks! It's very strange, because I spoke to one person who told me the DE would trap the salt and it would get backwashed out., so he wouldn't even install it unless I also changed the filter. It was the pool guy that a friend has been using for years and was going to convert his pool, so I spoke to him about mine.

Is there any issue about salt waste with the DE filters? I thought the whole idea was that the salt would be completely dissolved.

Oh- thanks for the warm welcome!!
    The salt will be completely dissolved and in solution - it can not be trapped by the filter. What he was referring to is that when you backwash your filter, you are removing water form the pool and when you replace the lost water you are diluting the concentration of the salt. Eventually you will need to add some more salt to bring your levels back up. But you typically have to backwash more with a sand filter then you would with a DE filter so they really don't know what they're talking about
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks- that's what I thought, but I wanted to confirm that he didn't know what he was talking about.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by m61376

My SWG is the last piece of equipment before the water returns to the pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process