LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2011
West Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've decided I want to go with a SWG this summer. I don't have a whole lot of money to invest in the project up front. I only have a 16,000 pool. I am wondering what the difference would be between the Intex systems and the Pentair Intellichlor IC15.

I've noticed Walmart sells two different models, neither of which is the "8110" which I've read much about on these forums.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal ... m/12566370
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal ... m/19336123

Are these the same or similar to the 8110?

How many hours do the Intex systems last?

Hey Jesse, I cannot personally attest to the longevity of the Intex SWG, but I did find this thread about them (intex-swg-t1090.html). From what I read there, the Intex system seems to do okay. There are a few minor issues mentioned in the thread (system powering off, button sensitivity), but overall it seems to be a good value.

I can say, however, that the Intellichlor system is great! It is a little bit more expensive, but it will be reliable and likely last longer than an Intex unit.

The Intex models you have looked at have the copper bars in them and the forum talks about adding metals to your pool. Mine is the pre-copper model. You may find them on the net new (I did), and I purchased a spare.

There are some that use the ones with copper but disconnect the bars and or remove them.

I like it but don't like that every time the power goes out you have to reset it :x

That has only happened once but if I'm away from home I'd have to call someone to reset it or add some bleach (if I knew).

I have a timer that turns the pump on for a certain amount of time every day. It sounds like the Intex may not work with this set up.

If I put the SWG on the same timer controlled outlet it would suffer from the "power outage" problem.
If I put it on the 'always on' outlet it would be running when there's not circulation which would also be bad.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to synchronize the two systems?

If I go with the Intex the question is whether I can find an 8110. The newer copper models seem to produce less chlorine. Can anyone attest to the typical hours these last?

After an hour of searching online I can't find any 8110's for sale. Nor can I find any specs on the newer 54601EG model. I know it has the copper ionizer. I wish I knew what it's chlorine output was. They still have the 8110 manual on the website and no manuals for the newer models.

It looks like I'll have to save up for the Intellichlor IC15. Will this be enough for my 16,000 gal pool?

I have the version that has the copper bars. I removed them. I believe this newer unit does produce less (I think half) of what the old model (without copper) produced. A couple of positives to the new model, you can see the bubbling through the clear tubing which is nice to see directly that it is producing and it does have memory of previous settings when the power goes out. I have been running for two years with no signs of problems yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The IC15's output seems to be half of what the Intex 8110 was anyway. I wonder if there's a threshold that the copper ions would be beneficial but not cause green hair. My wife is blonde so I would need to be mindful of the copper level. Are there copper tests?

Edit: Copper Test Kit found on TFTestKits of course! Seems like it would last a long time considering how little I would use it. Does anyone know the shelf life of the reagents in this kit?

Well I found out you can still order them directly from Intex although they charge a ridiculous amount for shipping:

Your Question(s) below:
Please resume manufacturing of a salt water chlorine generator that does not produce copper ions.
The 8110 was a great product that produced more chlorine than your newer copper/chlorine hybrid
systems and the 8110 didn't cause green hair.

Agent response
As a valued Intex Consumer your feedback is greatly appreciated. Model 8110 is still available to
purchase on our website though it was discontinued.

The link: http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/16601.html

If you have further questions or concerns please contact us directly at 1-800-234-6839

They are $159.99 plus $37.50 shipping for me from CA to WV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.