What size above ground pool to buy

Mar 12, 2012
Hello all,

I am having trouble deciding what size above ground pool to buy. I have actually put a down payment on a 24' pool but am now rethinking that decision. The next size bigger that the company I ordered the 24' from is a 30'. Is it worth the extra $'s for the 30'. I have 2 young children, both boys and love swimming so I know it will get a lot of use. Just don't want to make the wrong decision. Room is not an issue, just trying to justify spending another $1,000 for the pool itself.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!

I don't think we see as many 30 footers because of space constraints in back yards. I had a friend with one in Houston though and that was a big pool. 10 yards across.

Get the biggest pool you can afford, if you can swing the extra k then do it, this much I promise, it's just a matter of time and you will be saying "i should have got the bigger pool" that's what I did and ended up buying 2 pools.
Wish I would have just but the bullet the 1st time.
Our 18x33 will be 3 seasons old this summer and wished I would have just purchased it the 1st time around.

Thanks for the welcomes and thanks to those that replied, like I said, for the money being spent just don't want to make the wrong decision... I am leaning towards the 30' but want to make sure the money is worth it for the expense. Plus have to think about the additional expenses in keeping the pool up. Just kinda wanted to know if people that had a 24' or smaller regreted not going up in size if it was an option for you....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a 33' round above ground. (We wish we would have went with the 36 footer!).
We ended up decking all the way around it and have 22 foot party deck on one side and built a pergola to shade half that party deck.
LOVE LOVE LOVE our pool.
I agree with the others. Who says "wish we woulda bought a smaller pool."

Best of luck.

If I had room in my yard, I'd go with the largest I could find or make!

That being said, if you look around here, there isn't that much difference in caring for a 15 ft pool vs. a 20 ft. Just a small amount more bleach etc. A 2 speed or VS pump and a properly sized filter (go as large as you can!) would work on either size pool. Go with the largest you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.