Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size above ground pool to buy

1. Back To Top    #1

What size above ground pool to buy

Hello all,

I am having trouble deciding what size above ground pool to buy. I have actually put a down payment on a 24' pool but am now rethinking that decision. The next size bigger that the company I ordered the 24' from is a 30'. Is it worth the extra $'s for the 30'. I have 2 young children, both boys and love swimming so I know it will get a lot of use. Just don't want to make the wrong decision. Room is not an issue, just trying to justify spending another $1,000 for the pool itself.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!
    Ken

Pool 22320 Gallons IG Plaster-DE Filter-2Hp & TF100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What size above ground pool to buy

Welcome to TFP!

A 24' round is a very popular size for an ABG.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp Dandyandy...my two cents...go with the 24 and dig a deep end

edit: better yet, go with the 30 and deep end Sorry I am no help
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

practical-of-swimmers-t21490.html

There's a discussion. 24 ft. is a hunk of pool though.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think we see as many 30 footers because of space constraints in back yards. I had a friend with one in Houston though and that was a big pool. 10 yards across.

6. Back To Top    #6

24' is a good size, I want a deep end!
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

7. Back To Top    #7

Get the biggest pool you can afford, if you can swing the extra k then do it, this much I promise, it's just a matter of time and you will be saying "i should have got the bigger pool" that's what I did and ended up buying 2 pools.
    Wish I would have just but the bullet the 1st time.
    Our 18x33 will be 3 seasons old this summer and wished I would have just purchased it the 1st time around.
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the welcomes and thanks to those that replied, like I said, for the money being spent just don't want to make the wrong decision... I am leaning towards the 30' but want to make sure the money is worth it for the expense. Plus have to think about the additional expenses in keeping the pool up. Just kinda wanted to know if people that had a 24' or smaller regreted not going up in size if it was an option for you....
    Ken

9. Back To Top    #9

Bigger is better if you can afford it. No one will say I wish I bought a smaller pool when the kids are having fun in it!
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks bibeaud, that's what I'm thinking too!!
    Ken

11. Back To Top    #11

We have a 33' round above ground. (We wish we would have went with the 36 footer!).
    We ended up decking all the way around it and have 22 foot party deck on one side and built a pergola to shade half that party deck.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE our pool.
    I agree with the others. Who says "wish we woulda bought a smaller pool."

Best of luck.
    26,000 gal Round Artesian. 2 speed Water-Way pump. Sand filter. Robo-Kleen. Pool-Skim.

12. Back To Top    #12

Who makes the artesian

13. Back To Top    #13

I've got to go with the majority opinion here that says get the largest pool that you can afford and that will fit in your yard, especially if you are located in a warm climate.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    I've got to go with the majority opinion here that says get the largest pool that you can afford and that will fit in your yard, especially if you are located in a warm climate.
    +1 to that. You'll never regret having more room.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

15. Back To Top    #15

If I had room in my yard, I'd go with the largest I could find or make!

That being said, if you look around here, there isn't that much difference in caring for a 15 ft pool vs. a 20 ft. Just a small amount more bleach etc. A 2 speed or VS pump and a properly sized filter (go as large as you can!) would work on either size pool. Go with the largest you can.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.