Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another Intex Question: How far is too far?

1. Back To Top    #1

Another Intex Question: How far is too far?

Sorry to bug you guys with silly questions, but I thought I would start another topic as I select the location of my future pool...

I'm thinking about putting the dual pump / salwater system combo (56681EG) on an 18' ultraframe.

My problem is the only location I can put my pool is about 120' away from the GFCI outlet.

My understanding is that you just plug these filter systems in to the GFCI. If I have a really long extention cord...will 120' cause any issues with running the pump?

Also, does anyone have any good ideas as to how to hide the elctrical cord as it travels across my backyard?

Any experiences I can draw upon?

Thanks for your help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another Intex Question: How far is too far?

What I'd do is run a GFCI receptacle out there. Any extension cord you get that long is going to have a terrible voltage drop or be more expensive than a dedicated receptacle. I'd run #12 wire in PVC conduit out there and put a gfci receptacle on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

There are no silly questions ...unless I am asking

Quote Originally Posted by CSimpson
    I'm thinking about putting the dual pump / salwater system combo (56681EG) on an 18' ultraframe.
    I wouldn't. Keep you SWG seperate from your pump/filter. That way if one starts malfunctioning (and the swg will probably before the pump does) then you can easily replace. The intex stand alone swg works well for me. I have used it for 2 seasons so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CSimpson
    My understanding is that you just plug these filter systems in to the GFCI. If I have a really long extention cord...will 120' cause any issues with running the pump?
    I agree with Bama, better to run a dedicated receptacle. With that said...you may have trouble with the 120 feet, I am not sure what the current draw is for the 2650 gpm version, but the 1600 gpm version (pump only) was less than 6 amps. My neighbor has it on a ~100 ft extension cord. I can't find a current draw spec for the 2650...
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome! Thanks for the quick responses. The only reason I thought about the combo is because I have heard that the pump that comes with the pool is no good. I thought it would be cheaper to by the combo than to buy a new pump and a seperate SWG. I saw the combo on Amazon.com today for $379. Whatever I decide, I will need the SWG, pump and a light on the circuit.

5. Back To Top    #5

This deal is done, but sometimes you can get lucky with deals like these: http://www.troublefreepool.com/free-...50-t35974.html.

Personally, I would put my money into a good filter and pump and get by with an intex swg. Craigslist, is where I'd go for the filter/pump...but I am cheap
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    This deal is done, but sometimes you can get lucky with deals like these: http://www.troublefreepool.com/free-...50-t35974.html.

Personally, I would put my money into a good filter and pump and get by with an intex swg. Craigslist, is where I'd go for the filter/pump...but I am cheap
    Cheap is the goal here!