Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's the best test kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's the best test kit?

I'm new to pools. Learning as I'm going along (reading articles and product literature). My question is I see they sell 6-way test kits as well as 5-way test kits. Anyway, what is the testkit I should be getting. I have a 24' above ground pool.
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's the best test kit?

TF-100 at TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    TF-100 at TFTestkits.net
    WOW 68.00. Is this just a 6 or 7 -way kit. It test 7 chems. What's the benefit of this kit?
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I just bought this kit last summer, after letting the pool store test my chemistry.

The amount of reagents in this kit will last you more than one season, and each test will definitely help you keep the chemistry in check. I had to reorder the chlorine testing reagents only one time during the season, and still have plenty left to start the season with.

So, if you're testing every couple days, this kit will last you longer than one season. You get your money's worth
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gkruske
    I just bought this kit last summer, after letting the pool store test my chemistry.

The amount of reagents in this kit will last you more than one season, and each test will definitely help you keep the chemistry in check. I had to reorder the chlorine testing reagents only one time during the season, and still have plenty left to start the season with.

So, if you're testing every couple days, this kit will last you longer than one season. You get your money's worth
    So what is a 6 way test kit? Like the HTH test kit they sell at the store?

6. Back To Top    #6

Pretty much. TF100 has 7 tests, the main difference being the FAS/DPD test. This is the test I use more than anything, simply because I want pinpointed accuracy as to where my FC/CC levels are at. I'm not all that great at matching colors on a little sheet of paper.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by steppinthrax

So what is a 6 way test kit? Like the HTH test kit they sell at the store?
    No, this is not what they sell at Walmart. This kit tests everything you need to keep your pool nice all swim season and stop relying on inaccurate pool store and test strip results. It tests for:

Free chlorine (FC)
    Combined Chlorine (CC)
    pH
    calcium (CH)
    stabilizer (CYA
    total alk (TA)

The FC test uses the FAS-DPD reagents. This allows measuring FC down to 0.5 ppm increments. Its a must if you are shocking the pool.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Most of the 6-way kits they sell are strips and they're not at all accurate. Lots of people report here with problems because they tried relying on strips.

The TF-100 kit is the best buy because it contains enough of the right reagents to keep your pool tested for at least two years and maybe more. You can buy cheaper kits but they don't have the tests you really need and/or they don't have nearly enough reagents to test more than a few times. Another way to think of it is that what you'll spend on a good test kit you'll more than make up for because you won't be buying chems you don't need, and you won't have to shock your pool because you can keep everything in line.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Just to join the party ...HTH 6-way kits only measure Total Chlorine (TC). To best care for your pool you will need a FAS/DPD Free Chlorine (FC) test. FC is the chlorine that kills HTH 6-way is an OTO Total Chlorine (TC) test. See the Chlorine section of this link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_chemistry

My experience with the HTH 6-way (before I bit the bullet and got the TF-100) is that the volume is low on the titration fluids (won't give many tests) and titrants sometimes do not "work" maybe to being too old etc. I know its painful, but you will be money ahead with the TF-100 in the long run.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

TF-100 might sound expensive now, but all the headaches you are going to avoid is going to be money in the bank! Become a supporter of TFP and get another 10% off the kit!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

11. Back To Top    #11

Last year when I started using a good test kit I probably saved about $250 vs the pool store.

The majority of the summer days I would test (or guess for a couple days once I had a good idea and test 2-3x/week) then add a bit of chlorine. That's it.

The most I ever spent was about $33/mo on LC, only because my CYA was still high from the previous season. Eventually I expect it to be ~$25/mo.

oh - also, when I was new abbreviations sometimes threw me. (following links in signatures will help you find good information)

LC = liquid chlorine
    CYA = Cyanuric acid (stabilizer)
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]