Anchoring An Above Ground Pool Cover

Mar 12, 2012
Maryland
I have a 24' round pool with aluminum deck all the way around. The previous owner used bungee cords (you know the ones with two hooks) and ropes to anchor the pool cover to the pool. Unfortunately the cover deteriorated and we are opening the pool for the first time this year? I notice the aluminum deck overhangs the pool by a few inches. I see most of the covers they sell slip over the pool like a sock. But in this case there is no "lip" to slip the pool covers over. My question is what is the method to anchor the pool cover in this case (Proper way). Could I simply drill small holes and place steel eyelets around the aluminum deck post and use some sort of tensioning system to tension the cover in place?

JohnT said:
Welcome to TFP!

What kind of cover are you talking about? Mesh? Solid? A picture would be a big help.

Hello,

The old cover was so badly damaged and deterioated that I just took it off the pool and threw it in the trash. This was a black mesh pool cover that had metal eyelets in it. This is a 24' round pool. I'm not sure which is the best option, should I go sold or mesh? I have trees around my pool and have leaves in the pool (that i'm cleaning out). I also want to save on water. I'm thinking a mesh is bettter since it lets the rain water in, but not the leaves etc?

Believe it used to be called a Brmuda King, it has an aluminum fan deck about a foot wide with a fence to keep from juming over or falling off. We have tried for years to figure out a good way to hold covers on and have not figured it out yet.

swimcmp said:
Believe it used to be called a Brmuda King, it has an aluminum fan deck about a foot wide with a fence to keep from juming over or falling off. We have tried for years to figure out a good way to hold covers on and have not figured it out yet.

Bingo.....

Yep, I did a google search on Bermuda King. It looks exactly the same. The previous owner had a flier for this pool, it was caled "Sea Isle". I believe made by USA industries. Anyway. I'm thinking of drilling small holes everywhere where the post are and installing stainless steel eyelets. I believe this should be good? My question is once I do this, how do I anchor the pool. Are there pool covers or pool cover systems that have a tensioner built in "spring system"?

Loop-Loc, Rayner, Latham Mfg. all have spring loaded winter covers but the problem is there is not enough deck width to hook them down and hold them. We have tried abg covers with the cable and went around the post with water bags on it to hold it down in the wind. Didn't work. They are a nice pool but that is the drawback to the design. If anyone has figured it out and it works I would be grateful to see it so we can try it.

swimcmp said:
Loop-Loc, Rayner, Latham Mfg. all have spring loaded winter covers but the problem is there is not enough deck width to hook them down and hold them. We have tried abg covers with the cable and went around the post with water bags on it to hold it down in the wind. Didn't work. They are a nice pool but that is the drawback to the design. If anyone has figured it out and it works I would be grateful to see it so we can try it.

OK, this sounds like exactly what I was thinking. I'm going to have to create something. I'm thinking of installing eyelets on each of the post around the deck and buying those ratchets they sell for tying your stuff on your vehicle down. You put the hooks through the eyelets and holes in the cover then you ratchet it. It should pull the cover tight and taughnt. I'm thinking of using some other type of ratching device that is much cheaper than the vehcile one. Like the one's they use for cattle wire one the cattle fenses???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure the deck will support the inward pull, full of water it may be okay. The only drawback is if you are in an area where you aren't protected from the wind. It will beat everything to death.

I used the Liberty Outdoor ANCFR16-ORG-A Folding Ring Spiral Ground Anchor, Orange, 16-Inch to anchor into the soil beyond the deck and ratcheting tie straps to attach to the folding ring for a spring loaded rectangular full mesh 17X32 cover in an above ground pool 15X30 with curved corner radius and with a half deck. This will work to attach safety spring loaded and regular type pool covers without stressing the deck or pool wall and can be used where there is a half deck or no deck at all. Each 16 inch liberty ground anchor will hold up to 400 pounds. The excess material of the cheaper rectangle cover can be folded over the edge where there is a curved radius. I used harbor freights 4 pack tie straps for $8 with the 2 metal hooks and cut the straps to the length needed. You ratchet the strap to the spring tension needed to lift the cover a few inches above the water. There is downward pressure on the pool wall or deck, similar to the sock type cover typically used for above ground pools, the force downward depends on the angle you choose to go to the ground, the pivot point being the pool deck or the pool wall itself, but it is evenly distributed and well tolerated. Regardless, if there will be a lot of ice and snow the pool water must be high to support the cover. It worked well when I did it. Only other option is build a full deck wide enough all around the pool and use the brass wood style anchors, or use wood or metal fence posts in soil, the large ones that hold drive thru gates, with concrete in the soil, beyond the pool wall or deck, with the ratcheting tie straps, to get the stress all lateral with no pivot points. This latter option is not as pretty and if you do it you might as well build flooring on top of the posts for a little more investment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.