Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA

1. Back To Top    #1

TA

Hi all,
    Well this weekend I just put in the salt pool equipment and everything is up and running.
    Historically I have had issues with TA rise; probably has to do with heavy aeration and not-that-low TA.
    Since I have been recalibrating my water anyways this week I won't to lower my TA to help keep the ph in check and avoid the need to dump MA into the water every week.
    Here are my readings as of an hour ago.
    FC 6
    Ph 7.0 (I'm lowering TA right now so it is in cycle and I'm aerating as we speak)
    TA 115 or so
    CH 350-400
    Cya 60 or so
    Salt around 3300

My question is....how low can I can (or should I say how low should I) go on TA?

My goal is to minimize the ph rise without causing problems.

Thanks guys!
    28,000 gallons / Plaster / Hayward 30" Sand Filter / PoolCleaner 4x / PoolSkim / Hayward RS1500 / CircuPool RJ60

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA

Sorry, my bad, I meant I have had issues with Ph rise, not TA rise...
    28,000 gallons / Plaster / Hayward 30" Sand Filter / PoolCleaner 4x / PoolSkim / Hayward RS1500 / CircuPool RJ60

3. Back To Top    #3

The only was that your TA would rise is by adding water that is high in TA or by adding baking soda. Aeration only raises pH. It has no effect on TA.

115 isn't really high for TA. I would probably just leave the TA where it is and just worry about pH. It should come down on its own by repeated acid additions. If you find that you need to reduce TA on its own, you can do so by following the instructions in the link below.

pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, now I see.

Adding MA once a week isn't all that much really. You could try lowering your TA to 80 and see how that works for you. Even then, with a SWCG and any aeration at all, you will always be adding acid to lower pH.