Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hey guys!

So I decided to "open" (I never closed it) our pool for the season and have been checking components, cleaning, testing, etc. But I've noticed there's what appears to be "rust migration" coming from the lights. Any ideas what it is? Note the very visible trail at the bottom, but also the slight trail moving up on the top right. The pool light has more migration towards the top without the "leakage" on the bottom...

2B7671AF.jpg

My current chem levels are as follows:
CL: 6
pH: 7.2 (I've been trying to lower TA from 120)
TA: 100 (hope it stays)
CYA: 40
CH: 450 (I finally got my CYA where I wanted, so I'm reluctant to remove water, for now...)

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

There's likely to be something rusting in the light niche. You can pull the light out of the niche and take a look. The light is a sealed unit with enough cord to allow the light to be lifted onto the deck. Don't pull too hard on the cord. Removing the light from the niche should be easy, but there can be complications if the screw is stuck, or if the plaster is not done correctly.

Sometimes, getting the light out and back in ends up being a problem. Therefore, you have to decide if it's worth messing with.

Thanks. I'll ask the pool contractor to take a look (still under warranty). I just didn't want to hear "it's mustard algea" from him.

I checked with the contractor. He mentioned this stain is not rust, but rather is caused by the lubricant used while pulling electrical cable during the build-out. Contractor did agree to "fix". However, I'm curious if this makes sense or if anyone else has seen this caused by a lubricant, at least in a pool anyway :)

Its rust- you can see it. He just did not use a Stainless Steel Screw to attach the light.

Wire pull is clear, and is water soluble. You can get blue for special purposes, but again it's water soluble.

Just agree with him and most likely it's an easy fix. Remove and clean the area with a pumice stone or wand type stain remover,
put light back in with correct SS screw. 15 min fix. Max. It would however be easier if you pumped the spa wveater into the pool before the repair so you would not have to wade or go under water - then when done pump it back into the spa. If you can't easily do it with your valves use a cheap sump pump with a hose attached.

Just dont turn the lights on with no water - or you will fry your light.

My guess is one of his workers lost the screw and used a drywall screw of something.

Seen it done a couple of times before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It kind of looks like rust. I suppose that it could be wire-pulling lubricant. However, if it is lubricant, then it was a poor choice for this application due to the mess it makes.

Try putting a magnet in the stuff to see if it is rust.

I really don't know what that is. Perhaps your contractor can provide some answers. Ask him to show you some of the wire-pulling lubricant, including the container that they use.

You could also open the junction box to see if the other end of the cord is covered in the same stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.