New build -Cypress, TX FINISHED!! new pics

Feb 5, 2012
Cypress, TX
We are building our first pool (Cypress, TX) and the digging started last Tuesday. All went well after they got the bobcat unstuck. Day 2 was for the inground cleaning system plumbing. The weather took an unexpected change for the worse before they could finsh the steel. We got some light rain and they decided to do a flash coat of gunite to help the walls from caving in. Still more light rain while they finshed the steel. Then its been two days of steady light to heavy drizzle. The pool has filled up all the to the shallow end now and more rain is expected today. Monday is scheduled for the gunite. Any thing we should be worried about with all of the rain? If it doesn't cave in is it all good?

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

Re: New build - rain, rain, go away.

Make sure that the shell has an opening that will allow ground water in (hydrostat).

Also, the concrete needs about 5 hours to obtain a final set before it can withstand rain. After the final set, the concrete should be kept moist for 7 days.

Other issues:

How close is the flash coat to the steel rebar? The rebar needs a minimum of 3" of concrete coverage between the steel and the earth.

Did the flash coat get on the steel? The steel should be relatively clean to allow the fresh concrete (Shotcrete or gunite) to get a good bond to the steel rebar.

They only did the beam before the flash coat of gunite. It looks free of gunite. The steel guys left for a while and the gunite guys did their work. The steel guys returned and finished just as the rains started. It looks like plenty of space between the flashing and the steel but it's a little hard to tell right now. I'll mention that if they are able to return tomorrow.

We had a full week of no rain and they were able to make good progress. They pumped out the rain water and got started on the full gunite. A couple of days later they started on the tile and coping. Then the rains came again. More expected for tomorrow. But then it's clear skies for a while again. Here are some pics.

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

Re: New build -Cypress, TX -rain, rain, go away.

Update- The process is slowing down a bit. Most of the electric and plumbing is done. Some coping has to be completed on the weeping wall and a few areas need improving or fixing. They are coming out today to layout the decking and maybe start pouring tomorrow or Friday. They were supposed to set up the EasyTouch w/Ipod controller yesterday but there was some miscommunication with the electricians on the running of the cable to our router. This is the first time my PB is using this system and the Pentair people were on hand to help out. But because of the miscommunication it didn't happen. Overall things are going pretty much on schedule and going well. Just a few more weeks...

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Pretty pool. At least you weren't dealing with the tornadoes like the folks in the Metroplex :cry: So is the circular area that mirrors your spa your weeping wall? I know how you feel about the rain, though. My wife and I feel like we single-handedly broke the drought once we finally decided to break ground on our pool. I think we open this weekend though since the guys are finished with the wet edge day one and come back tomorrow for the acid wash and then start filling! I am sure we aren't supposed to get in it for a few days but I think the chances of me keeping my twin boys out is between slim and none.

:party:

Thanks. Dallas got the worst of the last storm. It moved through here pretty quickly. It's supposed to be pretty bad late tonight. High winds and quarter size hail is possible from this storm. One side of our yard still has standing water from the last rain.

The round area you are talking about is the raised sitting area. It turned out a little higher than we had imagined. It looked great on the design drawing as it matched the spa in height. Standing on it, we tower over the yard and can see over the fences and into the neighbors yards. Sitting, I think it should be fine.

The center section of the stacked stone wall is the weeping wall. It is missing the flagstone caps (leaning against fence) until they are able to fine tune the flow of the water. The two shorter sections each have an 18" sheer decent.

My test kit came a couple of days ago. Would it be considered a little weird if I ask a neighbor if I could test their water? I've got the itch.

Looks great! Did you go with the Aqua Blue pebble sheen? You're gonna love that color. Modern Method applied mine and they did a fantastic job.

I would ask for some of their pool water for sure. Besides you'd just be helping them out if you detect a problem. Get a clean cup and fill it up so you dont have to go back and ask for more!

Matt- Just saw your latest post about your pool. Looks very nice especially with the glass tile. Yes, we are going with the Aqua Blue and Modern Method is also doing ours. If it looks as good as I am hoping, I think it will add a little much needed color to our pool.

They put in the Pebble Sheen (aqua blue) yesterday and will be back to acid wash it this morning and start the fill. We still have a few things to correct. The flagstone accents in the deck don't really evenly match the flagstone coping. They will remove a few stones and replace with the correct color. Getting closer to swimming.

IMG_3574.jpg

Looks like it turned out great!

In this picture the color of your pool looks totally different than mine but its probably the camera mostly...Its another reason why people who are deciding on plaster color really need to go see the colors in person.

Congrats on the finished pool! Enjoy and be safe.

OK it been a while. It's finished but still a few minor details need to be fixed. We are very happy with it and the water has been easy to manage with the BBB system. I haven't had to post any questions because everything has been going smoothly just as expected. Thanks

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.