Salt Reading too high & Chlorinator replacement questions

Mar 11, 2012
SW Florida
Hi all. I am new to this forum. Although, I have been referring to it now and then for all the valuable resources!

However, I have reached a point where I need some input from fellow salt pool users and other experts. Last summer, I started having problems with the salt readings being "too low". So, I added more and more salt until I thought this was a bit unusual. So, I took my water sample to our local pool store for analysis. They said my salt reading was 8800! :hammer: :shock: So, clearly, I have a big issue. But, since July, I have been able to keep the SWG producing chlorine from a "trick" I read on this board. :goodjob:

However, I am faced with two issues. One is, the warranty on my t5 cell will expire at the end of this month. It is only a 50% credit off of retail which is $390 + tax. I have seen several knockoff replacements on line for the same or less. I don't know which brand is best.

Second, once I replace the cell, I still will have the same problem with the salt reading; except, now, it will read too high! One guy told me that the replacement cells don't turn off if the reading is too high. :scratch:

So, I really would rather NOT drain the pool. Does anyone have any practical experience or knowledge they could share with me regarding these issues?

Re: Salt Reading too high & Chlorinator replacement question

If your cell is still generating, why replace it? It probably just needs cleaning.

8800???
If that's true I think its safe to say you need a few partial drains and refills.
A good test kit for testing your own water is best (see my sig) with the salt test strips.

What was your reading before, and how much salt have you added? What size pool volume are we talking about?
I agree, get a good, reliable test kit and go from there.

Sent From My Inspire 4G Using Tapatalk

I have cleaned the cell several times. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. What is happening now is I usually cannot "lock" or "trick" the system into a value that is between 2400 and 3400. Since July, the salt level has come down to 6500 as of November 2011. When I went to the pool store 3 weeks ago for a water test, they said the level went up to 6800! :roll: How is that possible? They said maybe there is a high salt concentration in the local water supply... Whatever.....

So, now, since I have virtually a 0 chlorine level, I need to get the chlorine cranking again. I am being stubborn about adding liquid chlorine...

Since July, the salt level has come down to 6500 as of November 2011. When I went to the pool store 3 weeks ago for a water test, they said the level went up to 6800! How is that possible? They said maybe there is a high salt concentration in the local water supply... Whatever.....

So, now, since I have virtually a 0 chlorine level, I need to get the chlorine cranking again. I am being stubborn about adding liquid chlorine...
The methods on this forum are ALL about careful testing and dosing. It will be impossible for you to dose accurately until you can test accurately. It sounds like there is a lot of problems with the testing methods at the pool store......unfortunately, that's far too often the case.

The main question I still have is:

Do the replacement (aftermarket) SWGs have the upper and lower limits of salt that the current (old t-5) unit has (ie 2400 and below and 3400 and above-no generation happens)?

Welcome to tfp sflrainmaker01 :wave:

I can't answer that question...but the results that pool store is giving you suggests to me you need to check their numbers. I would get either the aquacheck salt test strips, or maybe for your situation it would be worth getting the Taylor K-1766. By being in control of testing you will not be chasing the salt level, you will be controlling it. You may just find that your current cell works still...

No, I put in WAY too much salt last summer. But, I have a hard time believing that the levels haven't been reduced to a more manageable level by now. Keep in mind, I live in SW Florida. EVERYDAY in the summer, we have torrential downpours, to the point where the pool fills to much and overflows through the overflow discharge. I haven't added salt since June. Also, the unit is 5 years old in April. If I make a warranty claim by then, I get 50% off retail = $390 + tax. The aftermarket ones are about $100 dollars cheaper. I really would like to know if anyone else has used an aftermarket one and had salt levels higher than the 3400 level and the new aftermarket unit still functioned WITHOUT the cutoff at 3400. One of the aftermarket sales reps said he was pretty sure that there was no upper level salt reading cutoff. The aftermarket unit should still function even with the higher salt reading. That, of course, prevents me from having to Dang near empty the pool and start over (lots of extra $$).

I think I will go by the strips you are talking about. I saw them at Walmart for $15.

Wondering what type of system you have, most cells are rated at 10,000 hours , thats 5 to 7 years for most pools.

i would take the 50 % offer , and then buy a digital tester for your salt. test strips are unreliable over time. if you must use a kit go with Taylor.

all our trucks have a digital salt tester - its the only way to consistently know where you stand w a salt pool ( Taylor kit also) strips are for pros who will go thru them quickly... if they sit too long they become unreliable.

Good luck

G

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Its a Hayward/Goldline installed by Blue Haven Pool Company in April 2007.

UPDATE:
So, I took ya'lls advice and I went to our regular pool store and Leslie's to compare the testing results on a fresh sample of water yesterday. At our pool store, the Chlorine was 1.0 and the Salt was 5500.
At Leslie's, the Chlorine was 1.5 and the Salt was at 5100. Not a huge difference, but interesting to see the difference. At least, I am in the 5000 range now! :roll:

I am going to check the pricing for the new unit at Leslie's. Maybe I can save a few bucks and get my own salt test strips!

Thanks for all the replies so far! I still would like to know if anyone has used an aftermarket SWG cell and if it has the same high and low salt reading cutoffs....... :?:

sflrainmaker01 said:
Do the replacement (aftermarket) SWGs have the upper and lower limits of salt that the current (old t-5) unit has (ie 2400 and below and 3400 and above-no generation happens)?

The operation limits are determined by the controller which will detect high or low amps and then shut down the unit if it exceeds the limits.

In agreement with Mas985

the cell has no control over that , I would stick to the proper cell made by Goldline , i have not seen an aftermarket ver of that cell, but i would not buy it . you will more than likely end up buying the right cell in addition to your experiment.

The Hayward ( goldline) system is set up to only go to 3600 PPM on the salt.

Goldlines System is the best right now for residential pools ( IMHO) , Just get the cell , drain the water ( half) fill with fresh , and be done with it... possibly out an extra hundred bucks out for a digital tester , and keep it in a cool dry place away from all chemicals - then you can test against your gold-line readings accurately

G

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.