almost there baquacil to chlorine

Mar 11, 2012
Been doing bacquacil to chlorine conv for several days. Chlorine levels are high and seem steady overnight. But still have slight green tint to water. have used algicide and many gal of bleach along with several bags of dichlor shock. do i need more liquid bleach to finish conversion to get to blue water? cya about 50 ph is low. using six way test strips which i have never been able to read the ph colors, so working getting a proper kit but want to be able to swim next week with forecast saying three straight days in the high 70's. HELP!!!

also installed swg this year which is running. pool is above ground 15 x 26

Welcome to TFP pick!

You really need to get a proper test kit as the strips are not accurate enough for the testing you are trying to do.

The SWCG will be nice once you finish the conversion.

I'll let the Pros chime in on whether you should swim or not, but without the proper test kit how can you know the levels?

Thanks for the replies. Yea, getting ready to order a test kit. Right now just looking at the pretty colors on the test strips!!! Hardest ones to interpret on strips for me are the ph colors & the CYA colors. They never seem to match up to any of the few colors on the bottle of strips even when pool store water test says everything is ok (from my bacquacile days). All other colors seem to match something on the bottle. Getting frustrated with the ph thing so am looking at the TF100 test kit. Seems to be best for the money. Got to convince the wife first though.!!!! Again, thanks for the feedback. Still feel the ph is low, again just based on colors only for now, so would raising ph help any with the green tint? or should i wait to get a reliable water test? think i already know what the answers will be but had to ask anyway. i just feel like i'm so close to good water i can taste it and really want to take that first dip but chlorine levels seem much too high to risk getting in the water for now.

Here's a small weapon to help you with your fight to buy the kit. If swapping from Baqua to chlorine you should save about 1/2 on the chemicals alone. We did the swap last year, and the last 2 months we spent maybe $60 in chemicals and had a perfect pool the entire time. With a SWG your bill will even be less.

I'd also not worry about PH for now as I learned in my swap. It was VERY high the entire time (over 8.2) and when we finished I was able to lower it with ease and keep it around 7.5 with acid as well. Keep shocking and you'll get there soon.

Ps.....got any more pics?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.