Will zeolite at least filter as well as sand

Mar 10, 2012
OK i understand that some of the marketing wording may/may not be correct; but will zeolite at least filter as well as sand. I just bought a Hayward sand filter,pump, and inline chlorinator for my 16' pool (yes i know its a small pool compared to most pools). I just purchased 50 pounds of zeosand.

Yes, zeo media filters extremely well when everything is working correctly. On the other hand a significant number of people have problems of one kind or another with zeo, so we don't generally recommend using it.

It is the problem of finding a zeo hard enough to stand up to the rigours of the filter. Some of the softer versions turn to mush inside filters, 25% loss or more of media usually points to this.

The amazing filtration properties of the very porous structure means excellent filtration but slowly the dirt will build up inside the structure which in turn gives bacteria a really nice hiding place so as time goes own the filter gets clogged and chlorine consumption increases.

Never done it but theorising as zeo is lighter than sand then the sand will sink and the zeo on the top? It is usually the top couple of inches of media that does the real work. As time goes on the dirt works it's way further into the filter.

What would happen if sand and zeosand was both used in a sand filter system
Wouldn't you get zeosandsand? (man, that is really lame :oops: )

I have never used zeosand but from absorbing the anecdotal information on this forum, I am becoming more and more convinced it is not worth it. There simply seems to be to much variance in the quality of the product (and the consumer has no way of determining the quality, as best I know) to risk spending the money.....you never know if it will work well or not.

The regular sand would most likely stop the dirt in the event the zeosand gets channels in it,or does not wirk like it should at all. Maybe it would stop the small particles of zeosand from entering the pool like some people have had problems with.

I bought Zeolite online 70# of it for my 3.1 hi rate filter 6 years ago .Twas all the Rave then stuff I have looks like Lil rocks,Twill not Crush or Mush Not easily anyway.. This filter Has been between three pools in two different states and its still wotking gr8.. Bout time to change the media again .Although I cannot tell it by filtration quality .. :blah:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.