Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Pool Maintenance. Advice needed on Chems, Backwashin

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Pool Maintenance. Advice needed on Chems, Backwashin

I'm a novice at this so I hope someone can kindly help with a few basic questions. Have a large gunite pool with sand filter. I've got the pump running and filtering. Shocked the 40,000 gal pool today with 4 lb of Lowes shock. The faint green is now more blueish though cloudy. So far, so good!

1. Our temp here is about 60 and the water temp is likely more like 50. How long does shock usually last and when to I begin regular chlorinating.

2. This is a vacation house and I live 3 hrs away. Is it ok to let a pump run for a week without backwashing (since that's when I will return). I have a large sand filter and it usually runs at about 18psi. If that's too long I'll just have to turn it off until I return next weekend.

3. I'v never backwashed before. About how long do you run it in backwash, and how long rinse? Am I right that when you back wash you open the valve on the pvc waste pipe at the same time? It's a standard multi-port valve on the filter, and I can't recall if it has a separate setting for backwash and a separate setting for waste.

Many thanks. sorry I know so little, though I'll know a lot more after the first time!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Pool Maintenance. Advice needed on Chems, Backwa

Have you read Pool School? http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/
    The Pool Calculator shows that you would need 9 lbs 1 oz to shock. http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...efeating_algae
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    Not sure if leaving it on that long unattended would be a good idea while clearing algae.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Blue and cloudy is good. That means dead algae.

Shocking is a process, rather than a product. We recommend shocking until your CC is 0.5 ppm or less, your pool holds to within 1 ppm of loss overnight, and your water is clear. You should run the pump until you are finished shocking.

I don't have a sand filter so as far as how long to backwash and how long to rinse, I'll leave that to someone else to answer.

The best prevention is a good test kit. Please see www.tftestkits.net to purchase a good drop-based kit, if you haven't already.

4. Back To Top    #4

Most mutli-ports have separate backwash and waste settings.

You backwash until the water coming out of the waste pipe runs clear. That is typically a couple of minutes, though it can vary quite a bit. It will run clear for several seconds at the start, which doesn't count. Rinse is typically 30 seconds or so.

When everything is going well, most filters will easily last a week without backwashing. However, if something goes wrong you may need to backwash far more often than that. With care you can manage a pool in one day a week, but eventually there will be some kind of problem that will be difficult to recover from in only one day a week.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Many thanks for all the tips! You guys and gals? are great!

2 questions:

The instructions with the Lowes shock say 1 lb per 10,000 gal. I think the type is DiChlor. I was confused when one poster mentioned that I need 9 lbs of shock for a 40,000 gal pool. Forgetting about brands of chems for a moment, is 2 lbs per10,000 gal, or typical or is 1 lb per 10,000 more typical?

Thanks for the pool school link. It's pretty straight forward with a sand filter except it seems to say to back wash twice and rince twice, unless I'm mistaken.....Kindly let me know what I am missing..........

Pol School says move selector to "BACKWASH" position and restart the pump. .....The water will run clear for a moment, then get dirty, and finally run clear again. When the water in the glass is ~ clear, turn off the pump. If you have a multiport valve with a "RINSE" setting, switch the multiport to "RINSE", otherwise switch to "FILTER", and run the pump for about 15 seconds. Repeat the backwash cycle."

Do you really need to do it twice??

Tips appreciated!!

6. Back To Top    #6

I do apologize for my error, I punched in the wrong numbers in the calculator
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

No, you don't need to run the backwash twice. Once is enough.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit