Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dealing with ammonia

1. Back To Top    #1
    Houston, Texas

Dealing with ammonia

Well, last week when I tested I discovered I had 0 CYA. I stopped tending my pool in October when my mother became ill and passed away, so there has been plenty of algae building up. I was out of CYA so I just put in 3 jugs of bleach until I could get more supplies. I was wondering if I had ammonia so I bought a test kit for that today and it reads positive 1.0 ppm. Yay.

My question is, do I attempt to add CYA first or do I shock to get rid of the ammonia then add the CYA?

For those trying to crack the CYA conversion mystery, the weather over the winter was mild, with only 1 light freeze, and several warm days in the 70s.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Nassau, Bahamas

Re: Dealing with ammonia

Very sorry to hear about your mother. I don't know anything about ammonia. hope someone can help you. take care of yourself.

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Shock it first and hit it hard. It takes a goodly amount of chlorine to clear the ammonia. I would say that you should probably wait until you are free of NH3 before you add more CYA.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I don't know the absolute answer but it make sense to me, too, to shock without CYA. Like 257 says, you will be consuming quite a bit of FC so make it as "effective" as possible with no CYA.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School