Intex SWG trouble

LS1M

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, TX
I've just about had it with Intex. I bought a CS8110 in June of '10. It stopped working - no display - and they sent me a new one in July of '10. I struggled with it for all of last year, and finally got in a routine of cleaning the tube with Muratic acid/water every couple of months, that seemed to do the trick. I really didn't want to take the pool down, so I let it run through the winter, but it started showing low salt some time in the fall, so I added a bag of salt, that didn't work, so I said forget it & drained the pool.

Anyway, this year I spent some time building a deck & a new ladder, slowly filling the pool & making sure it was level, added a skimmer. It's a 20' x 4' round above-ground, around 6300 gallons, and I'm running a 100 lb sand filter (forget the gpm; 3000? got sick of changing or cleaning the little paper filter every day) so there's plenty of flow. I had the water tested, and I'm at 3200 ppm salt (7.7 pH, 84 alkalinity), but the @*#*@#$() low-salt indicator was still on. I called Intex, and they sent me a brand-new electrolytic cell. While waiting, I put in a pound of shock and some CYA, per the pool store's recommendations. That at least turned the water a cloudy blue instead of cloudy green...

So, I just switched out the old cell, ran the filter for 20-30 minutes, turned on the SWG and TADA! now I have a #()@#$)(%!~~~(@#(! service light on. I pulled off the connector, and there's zero voltage going to the plates. I guess I managed to fry the power supply or blow a fuse, who knows. It's still under warranty, so Intex will fix it, but is there anything I can do in the mean time?

I have a whole box full of unused "wall adapters", at various voltages and current ratings. Just to get some chlorine generated while waiting on warranty service, can I just hook up one of these adapters to the plates? When the SWG was working, the pool water was beautiful, and I really don't want to put any more chemicals in than I have to. Maybe if someone knows how this generator is supposed to work, I can just build my own controller. The Intex is over-engineered, in my opinion. Isn't it only checking for flow, applying voltage to the plates, and measuring the current? High current = "high salt" and low current = "low salt"? It shouldn't be that complicated...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did do some searching but couldn't find what I need.

Thanks
-Mark

So I can put in plain bleach from the store? Hmmm.... How can I find out what %bleach it is, or can I assume 6% for the "plain" bleach?

And thanks, btw. I feel better putting in bleach than chlorine tablets...

Duh ... most of what I need is there (pool school), for maintaining my pool sans SWG. I used the pool calculator and just put in some bleach, so at least the water will clear up. It'll probably be another month or two before the water's hot enough to swim in, though, but I just hate looking at that green sludge...

I still would like an answer to my question. Does anyone know the plate voltage and current that the Intex CS8110 SWG puts on its electrolytic cell?

-Mark

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.