Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem with ph

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem with ph

I've had pools for years, but I'm having a brain fog I guess. Here's the deal. We didn't close our pool down this winter. We just run the pump any time that the temp was freezing or below. I've had a lot going on over the past couple of months and have been distracted. My pool is now a dark green. I checked the ph, which was over the top. I used the Pool Calculator to determine how much muriatic acid to use. I had to add it several times. I figured that today I would finally be to the point that I could finally shock tonight. I checked the ph today, and it's way up (over the top). Don't think it's the pool kit. It's the good one, can't think of the name and the ph stuff is fairly new. So I'm wondering what is up and what my next step should be. I haven't done any other testing, and I know the chlorine level would be 0.
    Sallie
    25 K gal., vinyl IG, Hayward 3/4 hp pump, Hayward Pro Series S-220T 18" sand filter, full sun all day, no main drain, Pool Solutions PS232 test kit - Columbia, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problem with ph

Sallie, can you go ahead and post your current test results for us?

3. Back To Top    #3

You can pick up a $15 kit at a local Walmart or even some other big box store, even my Pinch a Penny pool store has them cheap.
    This way you can confirm if you have a bad reagent for testing your pH.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, picked up a cheap test kit, and ph measured at 8.2, the highest it goes.

Other info:

CL 0, didn't even test it
    TA 50
    CH 50
    CYA filled it all the way to the top and could see the black dot clearly, so my guess would be 0

My test kit was originally a Pool Solutions 232, and I keep my reagents fresh with Taylor products.

Where do I start? In what order do I correct?
    Sallie
    25 K gal., vinyl IG, Hayward 3/4 hp pump, Hayward Pro Series S-220T 18" sand filter, full sun all day, no main drain, Pool Solutions PS232 test kit - Columbia, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

I meant that the test kit that I usually use is a PS232.
    Sallie

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you've verified the pH you need to go ahead and keep working on getting it down. Once you've gotten it into range then start shocking.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Should I start putting stabilizer in?
    Sallie

8. Back To Top    #8

pH first. It may take a lot more acid than pool calculator says, just because we don't know how far off the scale you are.

Use pool calculator to determine how much stabilizer you need to get to 30 and hang that in a sock in front of a return. Don't waste time trying to test it until a week or so after it has all dissolved.

Then shock. This thread and the article in Pool School will explain it all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, my ph is still over the top. I have never had this happen. The deep end actually looks black, and I can't see through to the bottom of the shallow end. Over the past 2 - 3 weeks, I have added 2 gallons of muriatic acid, a little at a time. I'm not sure what else to do besides drain some of the water out. Can a pool store read a ph higher than my test kit?
    Sallie

10. Back To Top    #10

What concentration of Muratic Acid are you using? 2 gallons is a lot of MA( assuming 31.5%) for your size pool especially with that low of TA. You can add quite a bit of MA at one time. If your test is showing 8.2, use that in pool calculator and shoot for 7.2...I get that you should add 42 ounces of 31.5% MA. Add it all let it circulate for a couple of hours then measure ph. Recalculate using poolcalculator and re-dose. Once you have ph in a measurable range, then we can see how fast it is changing.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Can a pool store read a ph higher than my test kit?
    It doesn't matter. (actually, they usually can't)

As linen posts above, get your pH down, regardless of how much it takes......there is no side effect and it WILL bring your pH down if you use enough.

You only have to wait a couple of hours at max between doses so there is no reason your pH can't be around 7.5 by this afternoon.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

I have to go buy some more MA. I'm pretty sure I checked the strength according to the pool calculator. But I will go buy more and work on it. This is strange since we have not had much rain nor have I added water to the pool. Thanks for everyone's help.
    Sallie