Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: H400 SF issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Marietta, GA

H400 SF issue

Hi. I have a 5 yr old H400 ED2 with electronic ignition. I live in Arizona, so I use it year round. It generally has been issue-free and works great. Currently though, I have an intermittent SF issue that's been popping up.

If it happens, it tends to happen when I attempt to turn it on. I initially thought it was just a loose connector, as when I opened the panel and tightened every wire I could find, it came back and worked fine for weeks. But I've recently been thinking that it probably was not a connection issue. If I flip the (external) power breaker and shut off all the equipment, it resets and comes back to life.

My theory now is that it's just a side effect of hard water and that I should remove it and clean and/or replace it. But here's the real question: which sensor is it (see pics) and how do I remove it? I've read the H400 service manual 3 times now, and it just is not clear. Yes, I could probably trace the wire pairs back to the control board and hope that the board has printing on it on the back side, but I'd prefer to do it right the first time.

So, which of the two sensors is the thermistor and specifically how do I remove it given my installation?

6-person Dynasty Spa Recreation series, 2-speed main pump (240v), 1-speed pump2(240v); ozonator
    36x15 vinyl in-ground pool (26000 gals) with diving board and water slide; Pentair Tagelus 60D sand filter, PentairIntellichlor IC40 chlorine generator, Pentair 250k btu natural gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    North Las Vegas, NV

Re: H400 SF issue

The 2 sensors on the right side of the header (as you face the heater) are high limit sensors. From what I can tell, the thermistor is on the left side bottom closest to the heater. I believe it's the only one with copper tubing.

To remove it, you'll need to remove the front access panel and pull it through the "firewall" after loosening it's one screw. It sticks into the header itself about 3 or 4 inches. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater