Untangling the mysteries of my plumbing

JYves

Mar 9, 2012
California
Hi,

Last year I bought a house with a pool and spa and I've been figuring out via trial and errors how to operate it. I had almost everything under control except that:
- It won't turn into spa or pool mode via neither of the control panels (exterior and interior)
- It won't control the jets from the control panel
- I don't know how to have the water circulate to the pool only (I can do spa only and pool+spa)
- I don't know how to have the jets only.

It's a Jandy pool with AqualinkRS controllers.
I've attached a picture to show the plumbing and valves.
If anybody can help, that would be great!

Thanks,

JY.

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 275
Welcome to TFP!

We have quite a few automation experts here who will be able to help you. Can you also post a pic of the panel itself?

Did you make sure the actuators are not in the off position (middle on the toggle). The switches are under the actuator itself.

Hi,

No the switches under the valves are not in the middle position. I actually can control the valves manually using the switches. That's how I'm able to change the circulation from the pool+spa to the spa, somebody showed me that but he did not show me how to make it go to the pool only. And he had no idea why the panel could not control the valves. Here's a picture of the panel.

JY.

Attachments

• pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 252
If the switched move the valves, they must be properly plugged into the controller. Otherwise they would not have power. That means the controller should be able to control them. It is possible that the controller is not configured to know that the valves are there. Have you explored the setup menus on the controller?

Yes I have explored the menus on the remote controller (inside the house). I don't really know where to look and what should be there. Here's the menu flow on the picture. Where should I look?

Thanks,

JY.

Attachments

• OneTouchUG.jpg
    OneTouchUG.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 228
Really? Nobody?
Unfortunately, complex automated controllers combining pools and spas are a little difficult to figure out long distance. I am no help at all being a dinosaur who simply sees too many automation issues on the forum to invest in it. Any chance you can get the original PB to help?

JYves said:
- I don't know how to have the water circulate to the pool only (I can do spa only and pool+spa)

My pool is the same way, when the main filtration is on, it circulates the pool and spa together. When it is in spa mode, only the spa is circulating. I don't have anyway to run the pool only. It was designed that way and yours could have been too. :)

There is a 24V transformer that's purpose is to power the actuators. I'm not familiar with Jandy automation, but I would imagine this transformer would be beside the breakers behind the breaker panel. Is it possible that this transformer has burned out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, transformer defect is unlikely if the panel comes on. I just checked out the RS Link manual and it shows the single 24V transformer (behind the electronic controller board) also powers the controller. From my view of the photo, it appears to have three pumps, two filters and a heater (or one filter and one backwash tank to collect spent DE media). It's probably best to figure out what each of the valves does first.

I believe the pump on the left is dedicated to a water feature or cleaner line, and the one in the center is the main filter pump. In front of the filter pump is the suction manifold, with the left side pipe going to the spa and the right side going to the skimmer and/or main drain. The 3-way valve here would control flow in from the spa (handle pointed left) vs. pool (handle pointed right). The 3-way valve in the front right of the suction manifold appears likely to control suction from the skimmer vs. main drain (or balance between two separate skimmers). The return manifold is the one on top. It controls return jets to the spa vs. the pool. It appears there is another pump on the right, and this is probably for a water feature and/or spa jets. I cannot figure how it's plumbed because the control panel blocks the view. It would be helpful if you could take pictures from a couple of different angles.

Overall, this is a pretty complex setup. It would be helpful to know how many skimmers, water features, etc. Once you have figured out what each valve controls, then it will be a much easier task of understanding how the AquaLink works. If you don't have the manual, you should be able to download this from the Jandy website. I still find it odd that the valve actuators don't function, but this is going to require some careful analysis.

Thanks guys for the advices.
I already went through the troubleshooting sections of all the manuals but couldn't figure anything out. As JasonLion mentionned, I believe that somehow the controller does not know that the valves are connected. My control panel has a button on the upper right part of it that should toggle the circulation from pool to spa and back as well as pool drain and spa drain. When pressed it goes directly into spa drain and activate the rightmost valve (so the controller knows this one is in). It never goes inot any other mode though. That's why I posted the menu so that someone may know how to tell the controller how to declare a dedicated JVA.
To give more details on the setting: there are actually 3 pumps: left is for the spa jets, center is the main pump, right is for the water features. 1 skimmer only, 3 waterfalls and 3 jets, controlled by the second valves from the right.

JY.

So can you manually switch each actuator with the toggle switch back and forth? If so, then it must be a programming issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.