Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex and SWG's

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex and SWG's

Hey guys... it's about that time to start thinking about all this stuff again. Last year I barely maintained my sanity with the Intex SWG and am determined to not deal with it at all this year. The problems I had were pretty much endless, but the majority of it was not generating anything close to a decent free chlorine level any time after July 1st. I'm in Texas and I just don't think the Intex SWG has enough cowbell... I was running this thing for 12+ hrs a day sometimes and nothing... had it replaced twice and they claim there is nothing wrong with it. I could see it generating chlorine the whole time, but yeah... anyways... I am just going to go with something else.

I have been doing some research on different things and have boiled down to these 3 options:

Chlorease
    SolarChlorXT
    CompuPool CPSC16AG

I like all 3's "claim's", but would like some feedback if possible. I'm really leaning towards the CompuPool, but I don't want to be stuck having to run my pump for 12hrs a day again. Is there anyone in Texas (or somewhere else it gets ridiculously hot in the summer) that can speak to any of these?
    27' Round Sharkline Venture 17K Gallon AGP
    Pentair SD80 26" Sand Filter
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5HP Dual Speed Pump
    45MPHP10 Stenner Pump
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex and SWG's

What size pool do you have?
    I use an Intex Model number 8110 and don't have any problems with it. Its been shut off over the winter but I plan to fire it up as soon as the water temps come up.

Were your CYA levels right, did you have a cover when the pool wasn't in use?
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

18x52... water was for all intent purposes... "perfect" according to Leslies. I had it tested every week to make sure all my tests were correct, shocked it weekly, cya was even run a tad higher than normal per their recommendations for texas, ph fine, water was clear (once i got rid of the stupid canister filter and pump and went with a sand one), just never seemed to have any free chlorine... the cover was never applied during the swim season as we weren't out of it long enough to have it on... lol
    45MPHP10 Stenner Pump
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

4. Back To Top    #4

What is/was your CYA level?
    Per http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_generator you will want it 70-80 ppm or you may not keep up with the sun. I wouldn't trust the Leslies's results, you should get your own test kit...pool stores are notorious for getting wrong results. See my sig for a link. I am in Minnesota, so my season is shorter and cooler, but my pool has quite a bit more volume than yours and the Intex works great for me. Minnesota get quite a bit hotter in the summer than people assume (our record high is higher than Florida's...but not Texas') thanks to our continental climate. Search the posts for other experiences using google search at bottom of page.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

it was kept between 80-100...
    45MPHP10 Stenner Pump
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DigiManTX
    it was kept between 80-100...
    ...I know that I sound like a broken record , but I wouldn't assume you know the CYA level unless you know your test (or tester) is reliable.

What is your salt level and how are you testing for it?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.