Wiring Intelliflo Pump to Easy Touch panel

woohoo

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 29, 2012
Collierville, TN
As I prepare to get ready to install my new equipment I have been reading through the manuals and came across this from the Intelliflo VS (10018) Pump manual (pg 31). The two statements seem to contradict each other. I have an Easy Touch 4 Control Panel with load center. My plan was to run two wires from the 240V breaker to the line terminals on the relay, then to run wire from the load terminals of the relay to the pump. I would also be wiring the salt water transformer to the load side of the same breaker to keep the IC40 from running unless the relay was providing power to the pump. (I don't want to rely on the flow switch only on the cell to keep it from running in case the flow switch were to go bad). The below statement indicates that the pump should be wired directly to the breaker. The second note indicates wiring to the relay. Maybe I am missing something obvious? Anyone wire one of these pumps with a control panel? Thanks in advance for your help!

10. IMPORTANT: When connecting the pump to an automation system (IntelliTouch, EasyTouch,
SunTouch and IntelliComm), continuous power must be supplied to the pump by connecting it
directly to the circuit breaker. When using an automation system, be sure that no other lights
or appliances are on the same circuit.

NOTE: When the IntelliFlo® is started and stopped by removing power with a relay or timer,
a two-pole device should be used to apply and remove power to both POWER LINE TERMINALS.

If you have a Pentair automation system you wire the pump directly to power and the comm cable handles starting, stopping and regulating the speed of the pump. If you don't have an automation system they've built it so that you can start and stop it with an external timer.

If you have the Pentair automation system, that's the better way to control it.

They really don't contradict each other. They are just explaining to different points. One is that the pump is to be powered all the time which is due and to it's data connection, rs-485, to the ez touch and that it's designed this way. The second point is that they don't want you disconnecting one legg of the power at a time. Some like myself use extra failsafes and this may include a relay to major equipment such as the pool and this would be by way of a relay. They are telling me that I must use a 2 legg or 2 post relay.

I have the same system you do and the flow switch is not designed in a way that it could go bad and even if it did you're replacing the cell anyway. The salt cell is in communication with the EZ touch system and it doesn't turn on unless the EZ touch tells it to. When you're in service mode for instance the salt cell is off while the pump is on.

OK. Thanks for helping me to understand that better. I will wire the Intelliflo directly to the 2 pole breaker.

So then regarding the IC 40 transformer. Am I correct in that the transformer gets wired to the load side of the pump relay and that the relay is powered on the line side from any two pole breaker? If so, I think I have it straight. The puzzling part to me is that Pentair does not recommend relying on the flow switch to determine if the cell should be generating or not. So, unless there is the logic built into the Easy Touch that knows the pump is running or not, and therefore opens or closes the relay, it would not be possible to wire the Intelliflo in a way that meets their recommendation.

On a bit of a rant, I have read through threads on this forum that go back 3 years. In that 3 years it would appear that Pentair has done NOTHING to address the crappy manual and schematics that have been driving users and I suspect those in the industry NUTS!

Maybe I can document the procedure through the use of good photos and a write-up that might help others in the future. Then again, I am up against an extended business trip and have to get this thing completed this weekend that might keep me from getting the photos.

Regarding Woohoo - You are exactly correct, I am in the exact same position right now. Pentair does not explain the Chlorine Generator/Transformer/Variable Speed Intelliflo pump hook-ups well at all. Basically I am at the same point of guessing right now and do not know if the Chlorine Generator gets hooked up to the relay and the pump is dedicated to a breaker. If this is correct - it would seem that the EasyTouch controls the CG properly when the pump is running (ie the CG only produces Chlorine when the pump is running) - Why doesnt the manual say this!!!!!??????

BTW any pics or follow-up Woohoo or anyone else regarding this situation? Thank You

Just installed my Easytouch load center and IC20 last week.(2speed pump not VS)
I used a 30 amp breaker (pump)the power from the lines from the breaker went to the relay, then the lines from the relay went to the pump(220= 2 black wires and a ground) the transformer for the SCG was wired to the relay and the 30amp breaker) the instruction book wasn't real clear but when I looked at the drawing on the load center cover it was very clear. I can take some pics if it helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.