3 of 4 jet sets not working

Mar 8, 2012
Hi everyone..

I own a Sundance spa, and ever since my first fill-up, only one set of jets worked at full force (There are 4 jet sets total). The remaining 3 jet sets have a very very weak flow; almost undetectable. The jet controls are manual and open/close via turning knobs.

I was not given any information in regards to tending to the spa so I had never filled the tub up through the filter (Which I now understand to be the proper way). Because of this, and the fact that the jets have not worked upon arrival, I am assuming this to be a user error (such as trapped air) as opposed to defective parts. I have read the post on bleeding the spa, however, the instructions were not clear to me:

You want the water to drip from the fitting, maybe pour, but try to use one that will keep water away from the control pack and the back of the pump. DO NOT DISCONNECT IT COMPLETELY. Just enough to let some water or air out. Otherwise you will get more water than you bargained for. Got it? Now tighten it up and let's do this thing for real. Turn the spa on and the pump on high. There's no water in it, so don't go inside and make a sandwich. Go back to your union/drain plug and loosen it again. As water begins to flow in toward the equipment you will hear the force of the air and water coming out increase. That's your cue to start tightening.
[READ FULL POST HERE]
First he says there is water in the spa, and that is how you recognize the pumps are not working. But then he says, "There is no water in it"... What? So how would water "begin to flow in"?.. Am I supposed to empty the tub and begin filling it up again with the power on and the union or drain pipe loose? Is it ok to turn on my tub without there being water in it? Just don't want to damage it if I am misunderstanding the instructions :lol: Note: I did loosen the drain pipe and let water out but jets still are not flowing strong.

Here are some photos of my pump and 3 of the jet sets (The working set is the one in the middle with the smaller jets). My tub is a Sundance Denali.

Any ideas? I would love to get the pumps back working at full force!

Attachments

• IMAG0537.jpg
    IMAG0537.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMAG0538.jpg
    IMAG0538.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0539.jpg
    IMAG0539.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 149
Have you had a service tech look at it? I don't know much about spas but since you have had this problem from the start, it makes me wonder if it isn't something the installer or manufacturer could remedy somehow.

257WbyMag said:
Have you had a service tech look at it? I don't know much about spas but since you have had this problem from the start, it makes me wonder if it isn't something the installer or manufacturer could remedy somehow.
I haven't had a tech look at it yet. Couldn't get a hold of any one.
Unfortunately I missed warranty date by about 40 days so I can't have the manufacturer cover it.

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

I suspect a blockage in the line (after the one return that behaves properly).
Thanks!

Blockage... is that something I should call a spa tech to fix or is there anything I could do?
It has been like this since the very first time I filled up and used the hot tub; although, if memory serves me correctly -- there were 2 of 4 jet sets working back then. Now only 1 of 4 are. So I guess a blockage does make sense.. must be getting worse. Also, I can feel a faint flow out of the jets, it is just very weak and barely noticeable. I read that if it were air lock I wouldn't have any water movement (which i do). Could be something with the impeller?

Have you tried twisting the outer rings on the inlets many of the spa returns made can have the flow adjusted by turning the outer ring ( - :hammer: - to ME for not thinking of this before)

Playing with that flow adjustment would be my first course of action. :cool:

waste said:
Have you tried twisting the outer rings on the inlets many of the spa returns made can have the flow adjusted by turning the outer ring ( - :hammer: - to ME for not thinking of this before)

Playing with that flow adjustment would be my first course of action. :cool:
Hi,
Yep..have had the spa 3 years and turning the upper knob + individual jet knobs is how one operates the jets on this model. Only one jet set works.

There are 4 jet sets total, but only 2 outer control knobs. I assume one outer knob turns on/off 2 sets at a time, and then one can use the individual jet knobs to further customize

No amount of turning knobs does anything.to the remaining 3 jet sets. I've only used the spa about 5 times so just assumed I didn't have the knobs turned in proper direction but now I realize they just don't work... so, it was like this since purchase. Id like to think this to be a simple problem and that I wasn't sold a $5,000 lemon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.